Your first amp?

I don't remember the name of them, but I had two shitty, tiny little practice amps. I'd run one into the other to make them distort (badly). I used to put a foot stool in front of the speaker, & it would make the tone a little better sounding, kind of like a baffle.

There was a whole series with that grey rat-fur covering. I think there was a J.A.M. too.
I had a R.A.D. decent little amp. Actually gigged it many times with an ART ECC multi-fx floor unit in front of it.

2a64e10d35fd2f2f14f8ac28209e2ae4.jpg

4955670f1031a5a19e00b98b5c7af417.jpg

What were the four preset buttons? I can't recall. Clean, bright, crunch, lead? Lead sounded pretty great to the 13 year old me

Couldn't read them on my phone, but on my laptop screen i can. Bright, Full, Crunch, Lead. Good little line of amps.
I only used the first "clean" setting. All of my crunch and everything else came from the ECC. That was actually a GREAT Multi-FX unit. I used that rig along with a MIM Strat and a MIJ Contemporary Tele all through '94-'95 because the places we were playing were just too small for a JC-120. That rig is what was on the live recording I sent to one of my ultimate musical heroes (at his request), that impressed him enough that he called me the day he received the tape in the mail and was gushing over it. During that call, he had me arrange an impromptu gig on 4 days notice with the band so he could drive down from LA and see us play before he went out on the road for 13 weeks.

I talked my favorite local coffee house owner into letting us do a show that Saturday. I ran that very same rig for that show. At the end of "the show" (long story), he walked up to the edge of the stage, looked me dead in the eyes and said "You're a great fucking guitar player!"

"Awe, you're just saying that, YOU'RE a great guitar player "

"No, you are"

"No way man, YOU ARE!"

And so on and so on. True story.

That night opened doors I could have never imagined. It absolutely changed my entire life course.

For realz yo.

The very first amp I got was off one of my old jr high school buddies. I got it through his parents, they were moving to Virginia over the summer. They didn't want to pack it into the U-haul, and I was helping out. It was a 5 or 10 watt SS POS. The thing was very clean.... with that jangly, icepicky kind of sound that would make glass shatter.

I honestly don't remember the name of my first amp. It was a wooden box with a speaker. I was in 4th grade.

My first amp was a home stereo that I plugged into via an adapter jack. It sounded horrible.

My first real amp was a Traynor BLOC 100G.

Yes it was plain old square with gain, reverb and EQ. I bought it in 1986. I didn't find it awful until later when I bought other stuff. Ignorance was blissful I suppose.

I was just thinking about that the other day. I had some sort of Crate practice amp I got used. I don't remember the model but it had 2 channels and I'm pretty sure it had reverb. After all the messing around with models and amps, I kind of wish I still had that thing or something like it. Pretty sure I gave mine to a kid that was getting started.

Back