Your first amp?

I think I borrowed my older brother's Gorilla-equivalent until college.

First one I bought looked similar to this...except mine was 100w and also had trem and verb...
s-l640.jpg

But it turned out it was a mismatched set...a 160-ohm cabinet and a 2-4-8 ohm head, and that combined with using a guitar cable for a speaker cord blew a speaker, at least one tube and the OT. Then my amp tech left town in the dark of night, taking our amps with him. He wanted mine because he was a Cobain nut and heard Cobain used a Univox...this was pre-WWW, lots of misinformation.

A cheap SS Yamaha amp that I bought used for $40. At the time I owned an acoustic but was using a loaned electric G&L. When my buddy moved to SoCal I stopped playing electric (and soon acoustic for several years). I sold the amp about 10 years later (for $50 :grin:) when I rediscovered guitar and bought an electric. I upgraded my amp to a AD30VT. I sold that one to get a Crate V-18 which now lives in the garage and I should sell it since I am unlikely to ever use it again :shrug:

A horrible 10w solid state off-brand 'alpha' practice amp.
My parents weren't convinced I'd stick w/ guitar so they bought the cheapest used guitar and amp the local music shop had in stock.

My first Amp was a Frankenstein Monster that someone had assembled by combining a GIANT Ampeg Bass Combo with a pair of 15" speakers mounted vertically, and a Traynor (Guitar) Tube Amp in place of the original power section. It had been sitting in the local Mom 'n' Pop guitar store for a couple of years. I think I eventually talked the shop owner down to like $150 and he was glad to get that beast out of his small shop.

It was massive, it was ludicrously heavy, and louder than anyone could consider reasonable.

It didn't sound particularly good, but it certainly got the job done until it had a catastrophic meltdown that included actual fire!

I don't remember exactly "how" I got rid of the remains, but it left my stewardship within days of that incident.

Next up was a JC-120.

AWE YEAH!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

After plugging into the radio cassette player for the first month after getting my first electric, my next set of Saturday job wages bought a Hohner Panther 20W practice amp.

No reverb, but had a switch to go from clean to dirt and bring in the gain control. Sounded average on the clean channel and awful on the dirt channel. Got a Boss DS-1 not long after in order to avoid the dirt channel.

Second amp was a Fender Bassman 135 head that I ran through a 2x12 home built cabinet I got at the same time. Swapped out the cheap and nasty Goodman speakers for some Celestions. Still have the cab in the cupboard as it happens.

Last edited:
my first 'amp' was something i rigged up into my jc penny's stereo.
my first actual amp was a univox bass amp, as i was playing bass in a band when i was in high school, like this. it was prolly 25 watts, but not like 25 watts today.
xjx6a1z8rslofoe2twvf.jpg

my second amp, which was a serious amp, was a Sunn Coliseum P.A. head, 200 WRMS, 8 6L6's :eek:
(did somebody say 'guitar solo'?)
70777.jpg

then in about 1977 i got one of these and wish to crap i still had it.
Mesa Boogie Mark I (1975)
nartziwmzcbvawz6vhfi.jpg

My first amp was a Crate something or other practice amp.
When I started playing in a band, I borrowed a Peavey Stereo Chorus (I think) from the bass player. It was old and heavy and loud.
When that finally kicked it, I got a Fender M80, 1x12 combo. I consider that my first proper amp. They're not really well thought of, but they did have a decent clean tone. I ended up running through a nice, vintage 2x12 Fender cab.

M80.jpg
the m-80 was my first amp!

My first amp was a Crate something or other practice amp.
When I started playing in a band, I borrowed a Peavey Stereo Chorus (I think) from the bass player. It was old and heavy and loud.
When that finally kicked it, I got a Fender M80, 1x12 combo. I consider that my first proper amp. They're not really well thought of, but they did have a decent clean tone. I ended up running through a nice, vintage 2x12 Fender cab.

M80.jpg

I had a Fender H.O.T. solid state amp that looked a lot like this. Decent little amp. I sold it for $30 about 11 years ago. Wish I hadn't.

Back