Your first amp?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I stole this thread from HCEG.

My first two amps were crates:

oduokvbl1hkf2jdhxnsv.jpg

My first "good" amp was a Marshall 1987 SIlver Jubilee 100 watt half stack.

I have no idea of the model, but it was a 1960s Vox that came on a chrome stand. I remember it had killer tremolo. Probably about a 50 watt amp, and I believe it was a tube model. I was an acoustic player, mostly, and wasn't to worried about the details.

I think it was a Roland JC40.
You didn't get your first Amp until 2015?

Holy shit! How did you get by until then?

:)

The JC-40 is a New kid on the block, you likely had a 50 (mono, single speaker) or a 55 (stereo, 2x8" speakers).

Or it could have been a 77.

Or an 80.

Or a 90.

Or a 120. (Head only w/ 4x12"cab, or combo with 2x12" speakers).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A cheesy little amp,with a sign on the front that said Fender Champ.

I wish I could get that one back.

My first amp was a Crate something or other practice amp.
When I started playing in a band, I borrowed a Peavey Stereo Chorus (I think) from the bass player. It was old and heavy and loud.
When that finally kicked it, I got a Fender M80, 1x12 combo. I consider that my first proper amp. They're not really well thought of, but they did have a decent clean tone. I ended up running through a nice, vintage 2x12 Fender cab.

M80.jpg

My first amp was my home stereo. I took my dad's acoustic, put a pair of headphones on the body and plugged them into the mic input. Then would put a blank tape in the tape deck and hit Rec+Play+Pause and it would play through the stereo speakers. :grin:

My first real amp was a Crate Bass amp. My first guitar amp was a Peavey Classic 50.

I had one of these:

Sano%2BR500%2Bamp%2Bin%2BMN%2Bfor%2B%2524375.jpg

but it had the somewhat less cluttered control layout, like this:

cwvzwrm7jz4s4ovfvd4a.jpg

According to googling them that would make it a '60s amp. I think mine was a 60w :shrug:

They are starting to be worth $ now, it seems. Maybe I should've kept mine. But at the time, they were just considered to be a cheap Japanese amp.

Back