Your favourite recipe involving corned beef

wok

Unholy Meat Obelisk
mine is Stovies:

SR-Stovies.jpg

Stovies is a Scottish dish based on potatoes. Recipes and ingredients vary widely, but the dish always contains potatoes with, variously, onions, carrots, other vegetables, roast beef, corned beef, minced beef or other meat. [1] Stovies is thus a dish intended to use left-over food.

The potatoes are cooked by slow stewing in a closed pot with fat and stock. Lard, beef dripping or butter may be used as the fat. It is also common to stew the potatoes in water alone with onion before adding the other ingredients. Stovies may be accompanied by oatcakes.

Corned beef hash, with eggs and cheese.

1) Open up a can (unless you took the time to separately dice your corned beef, potatoes, and onions into little chunks. If you did, good for you!)
2) Get your skillet (preferably cast iron) very hot. Put hash into pan and let it crisp up just a bit. Turn heat down and cover, letting cook for 3-5 minutes, depending on how crispy you want the final product to be.
3) Using spatula, form 2-4 indentations for eggs. Crack an egg in each hole, turn the heat down to medium-low, and cover for three minutes.
4) Season with sea salt and cracked black pepper... check eggs for doneness; I like them with the yolk barely set, but not still not liquid.
5) Using the cheese of your choice (I like extra sharp cheddar or swiss), place a slice over each egg pocket and recover, with the heat off.
6) Pair with sourdough toast and enjoy! :love:

1) Open up a can (unless you took the time to separately dice your corned beef, potatoes, and onions into little chunks. If you did, good for you!)
2) Get your skillet (preferably cast iron) very hot. Put hash into pan and let it crisp up just a bit. Turn heat down and cover, letting cook for 3-5 minutes, depending on how crispy you want the final product to be.
3) Using spatula, form 2-4 indentations for eggs. Crack an egg in each hole, turn the heat down to medium-low, and cover for three minutes.
4) Season with sea salt and cracked black pepper... check eggs for doneness; I like them with the yolk barely set, but not still not liquid.
5) Using the cheese of your choice (I like extra sharp cheddar or swiss), place a slice over each egg pocket and recover, with the heat off.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to try this...

Yeah, going to have to go traditional on this one, corned beef and boiled cabbage and potatoes. Corned beef and roasted brussel sprouts is a close contender.

On this subject...I'm sick and tired of places that call a Reuben using pastrami a Reuben. It's certainly one of my favorites, but the entire character of the sandwich is changed by using pastrami.

that sounds delicious :love:

that sounds delicious :love:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to try this...

When my sister and I went to visit him on his custody weekends, dad would always make this. It's seriously great, especially before bed if you've been up drinking all night, or first thing in the morning when you recover. I also eat it sometimes for "brinner."

Oh, and one pan clean up kicks ass. :embarrassed:

This thread is making me hungry. I need to try the OP recipe...yeah it's corned beef and hash - but it is also awesome.

"
On this subject...I'm sick and tired of places that call a Reuben using pastrami a Reuben. It's certainly one of my favorites, but the entire character of the sandwich is changed by using pastrami.
Pastrami, Swiss, Cole slaw, and Russian dressing on rye ( untoasted) = A Bomber.
A Ruben with pastrami = fail.

Back