Your favorite over-ear headphones.

Now don't laugh, I have a set of these. My wife and I were somewhere and I needed a set and she had these with her that she used for work and I used them. I was like WTF, these sound really good. You can pick them up at the local Dollar store for around 10 dollars. I've used them for 3 or 4 years with my iPhone.

51QiXlilCmL.jpg

61s3y63OVdL._SL1300_.jpg

What are you driving those with?

It's off my living room system rather than a pc. I recently picked up a Schiit Lyr 2 headphone amp; planar headphones like a lot of power, more than I was getting from the headphone jack on my stereo amp.

This thread reminds me I need a pair of open-back headphobes for recording

Advice anyone?
I would think you would want closed back for recording. Especially for acoustic/vocals. You'll need to eliminate any bleed through that would leak from the open back design. A condenser mic is very powerful and can pick up the smallest detail.
I had/have this problem with my current phones. When I'm trying to record acoustic, the condenser picks up the click track through the phones....

AKG K 240s here. They are comfortable, light, inexpensive (75 Euros here), and performed well in the office shootout. (The Beyerdynamics just had the edge, but at more than double the price.)

My mom gave me a pair of Samsung Level On bluetooth noise cancelling headphones last year. They sound great, are very comfortable, and they cancel noise really well on planes. I'm really happy with them. I'm not sure how they compete with what else is out there, but they work great for me. FWIW, they have a touchpad on the side where it says 'level' in the pic, so you can turn up volume, pause, play etc with swipe and tap gestures. They also can be used with a conventional 1/8 inch plug if you don't want the bluetooth stuff.

I think my only complaint about them is the fake leather pads don't breathe very well, so work outs are not great with these. Also, some of the HD advanced audio features work with Samsung phones, which I don't have. They still sound really good with my iPhone.

samsung-level-on-wireless-03.jpg

Last edited:
A mid range set of Sennheisers is never a bad investment, but nothing can touch my Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm cans. Yes, they were $200, but worth every penny.

Sent from Crab Nebulae via reverse engineered alien technology

I've owned Sennheiser, Shure, and Sony cans, which all had pros and cons, but the Beyer 770's are really great all around headphones. Nice isolation so their good for tracking, or for blocking out the sound of your family and jet engines. Nice bass response so they're fun for casual listening, but equally good in the studio or for live sound.

Reactions: OGG
Back