Your favorite over-ear headphones.

eloydrummerboy

& the Flaming Monkeys
Looking for a pair for work. Main feature would be comfort, as I could possibly wear them for a few hours at a time. I prefer over ear for long periods, but would be open to suggestions of in ear if you have one that you swear by for comfort.

Wireless would be great but my company laptop doesn't have Bluetooth (that or it's been disabled), so a transmitter would be necessary.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

budget?
I assume you're going to go direct off your laptop sound card and you're not going to have a headphone amp inline?

I have a set of these (Beats studio wired). I bought them for my wife, but I ended up with them (she has very sensitive ears...)

71MlYIi8kEL._SL1500_.jpg

Yeah -- I know -- "BEATS". A lot of hype, but they are comfortable, pretty light, the battery lasts a long time, and the noise reduction works pretty well for the price.

I just use the classic Sennheiser HD280. Cuts out a ton of background noise and sounds good. The drawback is that they’re huge and goofy looking.

A mid range set of Sennheisers is never a bad investment, but nothing can touch my Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm cans. Yes, they were $200, but worth every penny.

Sent from Crab Nebulae via reverse engineered alien technology

I just use the classic Sennheiser HD280. Cuts out a ton of background noise and sounds good. The drawback is that they’re huge and goofy looking.

+1. They're not particularly comfortable either.

I use a set of Bose Soundtrue cans for DJing. They're not super expensive, they're light to the point you can barely notice they're on (so comfy) and being Bose, the sound quality is exceptional.

I haven't found any that beat Sennheisers for comfort (the open designs, that is). And if your budget allows, the mid-range and up Senns have excellent sound. Their sonic signature leans to bright, but not harsh or strident.

My home cans right now are Hifiman HE-400i's. They are planar design and sound excellent, very non-fatiguing. Comfort-wise, I can't rate them as high as Senns. They aren't bad, but I need a break after using them for an hour or so. They list at like $500 but can be found for much less (I paid $250).

I like this site for comparison

https://www.headphone.com

Personally, my choice for sound quality is Grado. Even their cheapest deliver quality audio but they tend to spend most of their R&D money and production money on that audio so they can be less durable and not as sleek looking as some of the major companies' products.

The biggest comfort factors can't be addressed without trying the phones on IMO...because ear size and head width are the 2 main things which will impact ear crush and head squeeze.

This thread reminds me I need a pair of open-back headphobes for recording

Advice anyone?

budget?
I assume you're going to go direct off your laptop sound card and you're not going to have a headphone amp inline?

Budget is flexible, probably not much over $100 or $150. If they're really good, and really comfortable, and will last a long time, I have no problem shelling out a few bucks.

Yes, there will be no amp. This is just for work to listen to music and the occasional training video, etc. without disturbing the neighbors. We have very little control over software/etc. on our work laptops. So I need a solution that won't require I have to do anything to the "source device". I could always just buy a separate Bluetooth transmitter, I see them for around for around $30. Then any bluetooth headphones would work.

I like this site for comparison

https://www.headphone.com

Personally, my choice for sound quality is Grado. Even their cheapest deliver quality audio but they tend to spend most of their R&D money and production money on that audio so they can be less durable and not as sleek looking as some of the major companies' products.

The biggest comfort factors can't be addressed without trying the phones on IMO...because ear size and head width are the 2 main things which will impact ear crush and head squeeze.

I like Grados...but everyone else around you might not like them so much.

Yeah, that's my main fear. I would really rather just get them online, I mean, where can you go to try on 10 different kinds of headphones? I'd have to look up a specialty store for audio recording equipment or something.

I have a big head (7 1/4 hat) and ears to match. So that's one concern with comfort is the "band" that holds it together needs to be flexible or adjustable. I have a pair of AKG K240 at home that fit great and sound good. They seem to be running only $78 on Amazon at the moment, so I could just get another pair for work.

But I would like a wireless option.

I haven't found any that beat Sennheisers for comfort (the open designs, that is). And if your budget allows, the mid-range and up Senns have excellent sound. Their sonic signature leans to bright, but not harsh or strident.

My home cans right now are Hifiman HE-400i's. They are planar design and sound excellent, very non-fatiguing. Comfort-wise, I can't rate them as high as Senns. They aren't bad, but I need a break after using them for an hour or so. They list at like $500 but can be found for much less (I paid $250).

What are you driving those with?

Yeah, that's my main fear. I would really rather just get them online, I mean, where can you go to try on 10 different kinds of headphones? I'd have to look up a specialty store for audio recording equipment or something.

I have a big head (7 1/4 hat) and ears to match. So that's one concern with comfort is the "band" that holds it together needs to be flexible or adjustable. I have a pair of AKG K240 at home that fit great and sound good. They seem to be running only $78 on Amazon at the moment, so I could just get another pair for work.

But I would like a wireless option.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide
https://sites.google.com/view/quipa/headphone-assistant

Comfort is a tough one...especially if you plan to wear them all day long. Putting them on your head for 10 seconds in a store isn't always going to tell you what your pressure points or hotspots are going to be 5 hours later but you can at least gauge the relative comfort.

TBH, for work I like in-ear w/ comply foam tips better than over ear or on ear headphones.

Back