your favorite $500-600 all tube combo amp.

Pine Apple Slim

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Not that I need to replace little old blondie here, but she is 20+ years old.
a3b31212-9bcb-4975-8211-7633e11fd9d9_zpsdb2d6801.jpg

Im curious what is comparable in sound, quality, and price new today to this little combo I bought in 1993. I think I paid around $325 for it then, 20 yrs ago.
+/- 20w, all tube, one ch with gain and master vol, built in spring reverb. This little amp does everything I really need.
So I ran the inflation calc and $325 is now $525.

What do you all like for say $500-600 in todays money?
Bonus points for 12" speaker, tremelo and reverb, or effects loop.

A Vox AC15 would be just a bit over $600. Peavey Classic 30 is also a good value. Woah, just checked the price. They're a little more than I remembered, but you could easily get a used on in your price range.

I don't really have that on guitar. I tend to go for low to middle end solid state amps, or boutique tube amps. All or nothing, you know? So my answer is either Peavey Bandit or Dr Z Maz 18. :facepalm:

I was gonna say an AC-15 - but those are over $600.00 now.....and my version with the Celestion Blue is almost $800.00.

If I was buying new I would look at a Vox Night Train....

Not that I need to replace little old blondie here, but she is 20+ years old.
a3b31212-9bcb-4975-8211-7633e11fd9d9_zpsdb2d6801.jpg

Im curious what is comparable in sound, quality, and price new today to this little combo I bought in 1993. I think I paid around $325 for it then, 20 yrs ago.
+/- 20w, all tube, one ch with gain and master vol, built in spring reverb. This little amp does everything I really need.
So I ran the inflation calc and $325 is now $525.

What do you all like for say $500-600 in todays money?
Bonus points for 12" speaker, tremelo and reverb, or effects loop.

I picked one up used 2 years ago for $125.

Thanks everybody. The answers were pretty much what I expected.
AC15 was #1 on my list to try, even tho it's a bit over 600.
In my experience Peavey is good.
From Fender the Vaporizer would be worth a shot.
So would the Excelsior if their are any left.
Above budget but a Princeton or Deluxe would be an obvious choice, but then your almost in boutique territory.

My Micro Terror will do the job, even tho it's a hybrid it sounds good.
Plenty of good solid state combos. Bandit, Cubes, Orange, even Frontmans are decent.

An AC15 or if you don't need super clean sparkle, a 6505 combo is a pretty good deal right around $600

Speaking of Fender, the Blues Jr..
Thats an obvious one to try that I forgot about.
Think its as loud as the VC?
The VC has never been not loud enough for any situation, even tho its just a 10".

The Vaporizer is interesting even tho I'm not crazy about the colors.
I saw one on the Gretsch forum that a guy stripped the tolex off, stained it a dark walnut, and changed the grill cloth to a brown tweed. Looked fantastic.

It might not be popular around here, but try the Bugera V22. The last two times I have been tube amp shopping I budgeted 500-800 and both times I ended up with the V22 and a bunch of cash in my pocket. Easily covers anything the VC line can do.

Back