CB Chili Picoso, new

Candidates so far
Dist-
Boss DS1
Rat

Fuzz
CB Merkin

I play mostly retro 60-70s sounding stuff

I don't use a fuzz.....but for distortion I use a Rat clone from CMAT Mods pedals called the Ratified. Great tone, lots of versatility to find your sounds.

The Rat is cool. I like the Turbo Rat. Less distortion, but a harder clip.

My main dirt is the Way Huge Red Llama. It's a more stable fuzz.

For distortion, I love me a RAT. Pretty versatile with lots of 70's rock tones on tap. I have an early 90's RAT2 with the LM308 chip, which seems to be the desirable bit.

For fuzz, I'm a huge Big Muff fan, but I'm not sure they'd be right for your situation. They tend to be one trick ponies, and there are many variations on the theme. For 60's psychedelica, a Fuzz Face is a really good choice. They're pretty smooth as far as fuzzes go, and can be tamed to work almost as an overdrive (think Hendrix). I have the Analog Man Sun Face, which is a killer take on the pedal. The CB pedal you listed is pretty kick ass. It sounds like it falls under the category of those spitty, zippery fuzzes which sound glorious, but can sometimes be hard to tame.

I like silicon fuzz for anything not meant to be shrieky. Way Huge Pickle is a nice pedal for the price; if you want to spend more, you can start looking at more boutique-y things. Alternatively, I got a Devi Ever Ruby Fuzz for $50 at MGR that's nice - you can find a lot of interesting options used and less-expensive.

Size an issue?

DS-1 has nothing 'wrong' with it, but I also feel that it is sonically unremarkable.

Last month I picked up a Hovercraft Ionostrofear and it’s the best distortion I’ve ever used. It goes from a clean boost to the most intense wall of noise I’ve ever heard. For the sake of comparison, the Ionostrofear at 3 o’clock puts out as much distortion as I normally get with an FZ-3 -> Big Muff -> Monstro Matamp -> cranked tube amp. And since it dumps out a solid wall of fuzz across the entire frequency range it reacts well with the tone knob on my amp to get me a huge range of tones. I know I’m laying it on thick but this pedal is just that good. And at $150 it’s cheaper than most Boutique fuzzes.

Thanks everybody. Footprint is certainly an issue. Seems many fuzzes and lots of OD/Dist boxes are pretty large.
But I also don't want something so tiny it's hard to hit or you gotta take it apart to get at a trim pot to make adjustments.

I guess I need to decide if I want classic rock sounds(Rat) or vintage garage fuzz (FuzzRite), or if I would be better off just getting another OD of some kind.

My old Daddy O I've read is a Marshall Guv'nor clone. Any ideas what might play well with it?

If you just want basic classic rock fuzz Donner sells the Mooer mini fuzzes cheap on Amazon.

For fuzz I've been most content with the MI Audio Neo Fuzz Germanium.

For distortion I've been super pleased with this bargain of a pedal, the Washburn Soloist. But it's actually sold now as the Artec Soloist.

A guy from the old HC makes pedals under the Shoe brand. He does a pretty neat Fuzzrite variation called the Kung Fuzz. Not sure if he's still building but I think he's on Facebook.

I recently got an MXR dist+ to go with my recently acquired les paul. It's got your 70s classic rock tones.

I may be a sucker for clever marketing and graphics but I ordered this from a guy in Oregon.
image.jpg

And forless of a one trick pony, a Rat for general use.

If the OP wants a muff-derived or muff inspired style fuzz, there are a million of those. And EHX doesn't make the best ones.

I really like the harsher, fizzy IC version. There are some very nice, very expensive versions of these.

One muff-ish (I don't know exactly what the circuit is like) fuzz that I like and use when I want big, exploding fuzz tones is the Devi Ever Hyperion. But it isn't subtle and it's very gainy. Might be overkill for the op.

I am always drawn back to MkII Tonebenders, with single-coil or buckers. Some Muff-types are cool, the Colossus and the Thobak Fuzz Haze are quite good, just something that keeps me from going all in about them. Would like to try a Violet Ram's head type someday. Likewise with Fuzzrites. DodgeChargerFan made me a BC-109 Silicon one-knob fuzz that's a little fire-breather.

Back