Question: Your amp plans for 2015?

IamSeaDevil

WTF? FTW!
For me it's going to be an Amp year so here is what I am planning.
Hovercraft Caribou KT88
Hovercraft88.png

• orange / matamp style headsleeve w/handled faceplate
  • highly customizable 2 channel amp
  • 120v 220v switchable input power
  • rest of features TBA
  • price TBA
Hovercraft Dwarvenaut 20
dwarvenaut.png

• single channel head
  • 2 x EL84 20w power section
  • 3 x 12AX7 preamp
  • 8/16 ohm outputs (4 and 2 ohm are possible with Mercury Magnetics transformer upgrade)
  • gain TMB master & presence controls on all amps
  • $675
Hilbish Designs GT120 Kit
Hilbish66.jpg

hilbish1.JPG

About $1500

So what about everyone else?

I recently purchased the amp of my dreams (Carr Rambler), so I have little need for another. However, I may keep an eye out for a good deal on a [Carr] Sportsman, as it retains a shimmery clean, but also has a built-in attenuator instead of a tremolo. In contrast, the Rambler is either 28 or 14 (very loud) watts, with tons of headroom. Perfect for cleans and pedals, which is why it's the amp for me, but I'd like to hear the natural breakup of a Sportsman in person at some point.

I know I want a new amp this year, but I don't know exactly what. The Morgan AC20 is near the top of my list, but it's pretty pricey. An AC15/30 is what I most need, but I never quite seem to have the cash when they show up at a decent used price. I'd like to have this finally be the year I can bribe @Prages to get my hands on his VHT, but that depends entirely on how summer lessons go.

Realistically my Excelsior with a better speaker, a tone mod, and maybe some tubes with less break up would be best, especially if this new band I'm trying to start gets going.

But if we're taking dream money, gimme the AC20 and a Magnatone! :love::love:

The only thing I have planned amp wise is I have ordered a cabinet for my Musicmaster to convert it to a head. I may buy a 2x12" cab for it, but that should be it for this year. While I have the Musicmaster chasis out, I am going to replace the knobs and jacks and make a small change to the tone control.

Last edited:
I have a hovercraft. its really awesome.

I'd like to get a verellen this year but am doubtful it will happen.

im pretty set with what I have though. maybe a good a/b/y pedal so I can run the fuchs and hovercraft together would be fun.

I don't have any amp plans for this year, unless I suddenly become rich, in which case I'm buying a Suhr Corso.
However, I've just hatched a 2015 frankenstrat plan. Muwahahahahahahahahahaha!

I have some pending amp projects that I started that need finishing and another in one in the planning stages. May flip one of my Jet City JCA20's as I don't use them as much as before. This is where it stands for now.

if i were to happen upon a bunch of extra $$, but not a boat load of $$.....i would seriously think about an Egnater Rebel 30 Mark II.

if it DID fall into a boat load.....Dr Z Remedy.

I'm still loving my MESA Express 5:25 1x12 combo, so no amp plans at all.

I was toying with the idea of selling the 5:25 combo to help finance one of these:
Mark525H-large.jpg

Since I also have a 1x12 MESA cab (the bottom half of 5:25 combo that I take out when needed (i.e. pretty much never).

The reality is, I really don't need to do this, I would be out some money, and I'll probably still sound and play exactly like me. Plus, I like the convenience of the combo 1x12.

Back