You people are in trouble. There's more of me.

I have Strats, as well as other guitars that I like very much. The thing about Strats, for me, was in finding the right pickups for my ears. At first, I was ok with the MIM pickups, but then I started looking for something more. I thought I found the sound I wanted in the Lace Gold pickups, but my satisfaction didn't last long. I found the Fender Deluxe Player's Strat and when I heard the Vintage Noiseless pickups through the Fender DRRI amp, I knew I'd found a keeper. The fact that it offered additional pickup configutations was icing on the cake. I also found a second Strat that fell into the category of "best Strat I've ever heard." Bought that one too. It was a Fender MIM Special Edition 60's Strat that had staggered pole piece vintage '60's pickups. It was heaven the minute I began playing it.

Do I like my acoustics? Yes. The Gretsch 5420T hollowbody? You bet. Ibanez AM93 semi-hollow? Check. My Epi LP's? Absolutely.

The thing is that when I play at home, the first thing I always seem to pick up is a Strat. I will play other guitars if it fits the tone that I want, or if my fingers require it as I continue to get older (my birthday today reminds me that getting older isn't really a choice, although I'm simply one day older than yesterday).

I have Strats, as well as other guitars that I like very much. The thing about Strats, for me, was in finding the right pickups for my ears. At first, I was ok with the MIM pickups, but then I started looking for something more. I thought I found the sound I wanted in the Lace Gold pickups, but my satisfaction didn't last long. I found the Fender Deluxe Player's Strat and when I heard the Vintage Noiseless pickups through the Fender DRRI amp, I knew I'd found a keeper. The fact that it offered additional pickup configutations was icing on the cake. I also found a second Strat that fell into the category of "best Strat I've ever heard." Bought that one too. It was a Fender MIM Special Edition 60's Strat that had staggered pole piece vintage '60's pickups. It was heaven the minute I began playing it.

Do I like my acoustics? Yes. The Gretsch 5420T hollowbody? You bet. Ibanez AM93 semi-hollow? Check. My Epi LP's? Absolutely.

The thing is that when I play at home, the first thing I always seem to pick up is a Strat. I will play other guitars if it fits the tone that I want, or if my fingers require it as I continue to get older (my birthday today reminds me that getting older isn't really a choice, although I'm simply one day older than yesterday).

I'm not surprised you like strats because... well... you're name is Stratguy.

Happy B Day! You should get a new strat just to spite @Help!I'maRock!

I don't hate them , they don't works for me.
Way to light,thin sounding,trem.,the knob thing.
That said some of my favorite guitarists play strats. Rory,SRV,Gilmour.

"The thing I don't like most about Strats is the sound of the neck+middle and the middle+bridge positions. It just sounds weird to me. There are even certain guitar players I can't even listen to for more than a song or two because they use those positions too much.

So, am I just weird or crazy? Or is there others out there that have no love for Strats too?"

Dude is weird. And Crazy.

The list of Strat players who have iconic tone is quite long.

If Knopfler, Gilmour, Hendrix, Beck, SRV, Trower, Etc can not only get decent, but AWESOME tones from a Strat, the problem isn't the guitar.

About this Strat-issue. I played a -65 Strat in the early -70s, and it was a great guitar. But...ok, the pickups had a hum, and the trem was possible to set up almost to perfection, but just "almost". The guitar was in need for a Floyd and humbucking pickups. Today I use a Godin Artisan ST-1 with a Kahler Floyd and Dimarzio Area pickups, and its just brilliant. Here's a soundclip where I play it. You can sky-dive til the cows comes home.....

http://fandalism.com/stefanthorpenberg/dZEN

Back