You Know More Chords Than You Think You Know

I watched this the other day when you first posted it...really cool video Tom...

We must have different definitions of chords...I always thought that a chord is by definition a triad with a fourth note added on, and that what you are demonstrating here are simple 2 note intervals...or have I been taught wrong?

A chord is anything more than 1 note. A 2 note chord is called a double stop (I've heard it called a dyad). A 3 note is a triad. If you think about a bar chord built off of the 6th string, say A major...it's only 3 notes. A, E and C# (1-3-5). But they are repeated in the upper octave. If you add a 4th note to you're triad , now you're adding in other flavors. Major/minor 7th, sus2...etc.
At least that's how I view it.

A chord is anything more than 1 note. A 2 note chord is called a double stop (I've heard it called a dyad). A 3 note is a triad. If you think about a bar chord built off of the 6th string, say A major...it's only 3 notes. A, E and C# (1-3-5). But they are repeated in the upper octave. If you add a 4th note to you're triad , now you're adding in other flavors. Major/minor 7th, sus2...etc.
At least that's how I view it.

Thanks. I forgot about that term "dyad". But you are exactly right. In fact with guide tones only, the 3rd and 7th, and a bass player you can imply many 7th chords.

I never really thought about it like that. I am constantly dropping strings from chords just to make them sound different, or dropping strings from open chords so I can move them up and down on the fretboard.

I never really thought about it like that. I am constantly dropping strings from chords just to make them sound different, or dropping strings from open chords so I can move them up and down on the fretboard.

Exactly. Same concept.

I find this works well in an acoustic setting. Sometimes letting the open high E/B strings ring on top of standard chord shapes can make some interesting combinations.

I find this works well in an acoustic setting. Sometimes letting the open high E/B strings ring on top of standard chord shapes can make some interesting combinations.

I love taking an E barre chord shape and raising my finger just enough to leave the E and B strings open. Playing an F# like that is awesome.

Yup! Also the barre chords built off of the 5th string work well too.
I like taking the open C chord and moving that around too. It makes some interesting possibilities.

Back