You know how sometimes a workout feels great?

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
Sometimes it's pain and suffering and you just have to soldier through.

Other times, it's like this morning. I got up early to run, and it was unseasonably cool and comfortable outside. I managed to set a good pace from the start, had Wilco playing in my head, and it just felt good the whole way. By the last mile I was flying along. And now I feel great, even though I'm at work.

It's good to have days like this to remind us of why we make ourselves get up and out and exercise in the first place. :cool:

Yep, an excellent morning for that. I beat up 3 winos instead of the usual 1 or 2 on the walk from my bus stop this morning. :wink:

I'll take a ride after work. These dry, cool days will soon be history.

I've never enjoyed a workout except for trying to get lost in the music I'm listening to. That said, I love playing tennis and riding bikes, yet despite the physical exertion required I don't view them as workouts or as part of any exercise regimen. They are just fun activities for me.

I seldom have a bad workout day. I challenge myself every workout, but there are days when my run times stink.

I am doing some interval work this evening so no morning run for me today.

But most days even if I feel like crap and don't want to do anything, once I actually start working out it goes well.

I prefer those days when you get into a zone. But I also like that good sore feeling. When your quads and adductors say: "Hey guy. Nice work. Please don't do that."

haha.

I prefer those days when you get into a zone. But I also like that good sore feeling. When your quads and adductors say: "Hey guy. Nice work. Please don't do that."

haha.

Like "Shut up, legs!"
120515_Trek-unveils-Jens-Voigt-shut-up-legs-paint-scheme.jpg

It's great when you get into the zone but it's also nice to have that little "man you worked hard" ache the next day.

I just bashed out a 10k run and I'll feel it tomorrow. Had a sore knee pretty much from the word go and the weather was rotten but I was doing a loop so just kept pushing through and felt great on the return leg.

Got a 10k OCR on Sunday then going to my brothers for some breakfast, beer and boxing then out on the town with the better halves. They don't get why I choose to get up on a weekend morning and go and run through a shit tonne of mud but I'll have earned my first beer on Sunday and they all know it :grin:

It's great when you get into the zone but it's also nice to have that little "man you worked hard" ache the next day.

I just bashed out a 10k run and I'll feel it tomorrow. Had a sore knee pretty much from the word go and the weather was rotten but I was doing a loop so just kept pushing through and felt great on the return leg.

Got a 10k OCR on Sunday then going to my brothers for some breakfast, beer and boxing then out on the town with the better halves. They don't get why I choose to get up on a weekend morning and go and run through a shit tonne of mud but I'll have earned my first beer on Sunday and they all know it :grin:

I'm doing a 5k Sunday. It's my first running "event" ever, although I have been running for decades. And 5K is about right for me now. :tongue:

It's at a brewery though, that's the cool thing.

Reactions: Tig
Brewery thing sounds good to me, you'll have your beer in no time.

This is a mud run / obstacle race thing so gauging a time is really out the window as you dunno how bogged down it will be (going by this weeks weather, pretty bad) and how long you'll end up queued at obstacles but I love these kind of things and they're great for motivation.

Distance is all mental - my first OCR I signed up for was a 10k in Edinburgh when I'd not long started trying to get fit. I shit myself thinking - that's a LOOOOOOONG distance - I don't do running really even to this day - and was worried that I'd make a complete arse of myself but you get there and realise that yeah I had to push through but I knocked the shit out of that.

One think I always keep in mind was a few years back I ran the UK (potentially the world's, no one's ever disputed it) first long distance obstacle course race. It was 20 miles and to this day it's the only time I've ever run anything close to that.

I started burning out REALLY early like at the 6 mile mark, miles 7-10 were horrendous, I was raising money for a charity dedicated to a friend who had passed away and had set my sights on finishing it, there was the option to bow out at about the 12 mile marker and do a "half". None of my mates run these things so it was just me and my thoughts and the pain and thought that, I've still got more than half to go to get through this.

And then you started passing the burn outs who had cramped up or were limping along on the verge of giving up. I passed one maniac screaming at his running partner - fuck this shit, you're brain is giving up, your body could run all day if it needed to so get your shit together and let's get moving.

It always stuck with me, I'm not superfit and on paper for that race I definitely wasn't someone you would go - yeah he's got that in the bag, but after that I powered passed the half drop out point and finished the thing.

I've trained much harder for much easier shorter races but I now get that, it really is what you can get your head to power through rather than your body. On tonight's run about 500 yards in my knee was giving me gip and for the first couple of miles I kept thinking, I'll just turn back here. I kept pushing myself on because I had my goal and come the 2nd half of the run I was charging along singing to whatever was coming on my radio app and practicing potential answers to an upcoming interview.

Mind over matter, when your body is truly done or out of its depth, IT will let you know, not that whiny shitty voice in your head that says "it's a bit cold, your socks are wet, this is too much for you just."

Come the point on Monday when i've recovered from my hangover enough to engage with the online community I fully expect a report telling me you've smashed your race :thu:

I was going to ride 100 miles Sunday in Alvin, but have a 1 PM Astros baseball game to go to. I'll just do the 50 or 62 route. I'll be limping around no matter what the distance.

Like "Shut up, legs!"
120515_Trek-unveils-Jens-Voigt-shut-up-legs-paint-scheme.jpg

Did a 47mile ~4000' ride today....and it was windy too :(. I'm at the age where half way up the mountain I wondered about the sanity of this. A younger me never would have. But I didn't stop however

my legs won't shut up. The good news is I think my knee is completely back to normal

And I did get to see this (it looked nicer in real life). That blue is the Pacific but it was pretty hazy out there today. And the grass is still green (not for much longer)

Top%20of%20Skyline_zpsm8dh8cii.jpg

I started getting in shape this year,and look better than i did 20 years ago. I started doing 50push ups and sit ups a nite,and each week have raised it by 10. I'm now up to 110 a nite( I do sets of 10) and the first week REALLY kicked my ass but now i power thru my push ups. I'm also walking 2.5 miles a nite at a VERY fast pace. I usually average 13 minutes a mile. Combine this with a very healthy vegetarian diet and I feel better than I have since I was in my 20's/ I'll be 50 in December and I think I'm going to kick 50's ASS!

Back