You guys remember that supermarket feud I was telling you about?

Certain products go up and some stay about the same. But yeah, meat is more expensive. Especially beef. Cheap hamburger is at about $3.50 a lb or more now. I am eating a lot of chicken these days. Especially chicken thighs - which are still relatively inexpensive.
Chicken is even more expensive than beef, here. At least, the fresh chicken. You can still get those 4 lb. bags of frozen chicken breasts relatively cheaply.

Perhaps I should just take a deer or two when the season opens...there's no shortage of those around, and hell, I wouldn't even have to leave my house, just shoot one out the window.

I'd need a good-sized freezer, I guess, but how much are those, a couple of hundred bucks?

Perhaps I should just take a deer or two when the season opens...there's no shortage of those around, and hell, I wouldn't even have to leave my house, just shoot one out the window.

I'd need a good-sized freezer, I guess, but how much are those, a couple of hundred bucks?

just so you know....venison is 30% less fat than any beef or chicken. deer is actually one of the healthiest red meats on the planet.....well....except for ELK.

just so you know....venison is 30% less fat than any beef or chicken. deer is actually one of the healthiest red meats on the planet.....well....except for ELK.

I quite like elk, but yeah, it is very lean.
I like venison, too...but it depends on the cut and how it is cooked.

If you think produce is expensive this year, just wait until next year.:(

You guys might want to think seriously about exporting as much water as you can out to the Ca. central and salinas valleys, where most of the fresh fruit and veggies consumed in the US comes from.

http://www.weather.com/tv/tvshows/americas-morning-headquarters/california-drought-cracked-20140521

We could always grow our own.
You should see my neighbor's garden.....complete with beehive enclosure. Pretty impressive.

We could always grow our own.
You should see my neighbor's garden.....complete with beehive enclosure. Pretty impressive.

Not on a large enough scale to provide what you are used to getting. If you could, you wouldn't be buying it from across the country. The California valleys are in full production year round. Try growing strawberries or lettuce in the snow.

I agree that if people were dedicated enough, they could be self sufficient. Hard to do with a full time job/kids/life. Your average suburbanite is incapable of growing and preserving enough to provide year round sustenance.

Not on a large enough scale to provide what you are used to getting. If you could, you wouldn't be buying it from across the country. The California valleys are in full production year round. Try growing strawberries or lettuce in the snow.

I agree that if people were dedicated enough, they could be self sufficient. Hard to do with a full time job/kids/life. Your average suburbanite is incapable of growing and preserving enough to provide year round sustenance.

We'll just go to Market Basket, lol.....

We'll just go to Market Basket, lol.....

Market Basket Produce section, June 2015
6a00d83451eb0069e2013487c09d30970c-500wi

:tongue:

Cost of firearms, permits, freezer, and processing come out to a couple dollars a pound, at least here in MI the last time I looked into it.

Cost of firearms, permits, freezer, and processing come out to a couple dollars a pound, at least here in MI the last time I looked into it.

If you are into buying everything, yes. Taking a couple deer can be done with snares or pits. After that, cutting up the meat and freezing it are pretty simple things to do. A suitable freezer pays for itself the first year in return on investment, if that investment is the cost of the freezer alone. Obviously, if you intend to play good citizen and report all your intentions, acquire all the permits and $$$burden yourself with the local red tape, yea, it may not be worth the effort. If you have the animals walking into traps on your on property, no one is the wiser. I'm pretty much a guiltless rebel about such things. Our society is brainwashed into not only playing by rules but creating them when there aren't any to play by.

Hunting is regulated in these parts to properly maintain our game population. This is in society's best interest, brainwashed or not.

Reactions: OGG
Back