You guys make me want a Roland JC

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
And there's a 120 for sale locally.

"Everything works but pots need cleaning"
$400 Loonie Money.

I think I need to move a couple of guitars and get it.

Talk me down.

They are really cool amps. I really only like them for clean stuff. My brother in law could make them work with dirt, but I never could. Anytime I threw a dirt pedal in front of one, it ended up sounding like the over processed 80s tone. I still really like them though. you can't find a better chorus tone than that amp.

They are really cool amps. I really only like them for clean stuff. My brother in law could make them work with dirt, but I never could. Anytime I threw a dirt pedal in front of one, it ended up sounding like the over processed 80s tone. I still really like them though. you can't find a better chorus tone than that amp.

I feel exactly the same. Great clean tone - great 80s tone. But the 80s dirt tone is not my thing. But I can see why OGG loves it so much for his 80s band.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but get any other version but the 120. Like a Twin, you'll never want to move it, ever. And they're loud as shit.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but get any other version but the 120. Like a Twin, you'll never want to move it, ever. And they're loud as shit.

If you don't gig, it isn't an issue. My brother in law's 120 had wheels, so as long as steps aren't in your way, it isn't bad. But yes, they are heavy and loud, very loud. I don't think he ever took it past 3 or 4 at gigs and we never mic'd the guitars.

There's a 60 on my local CL, might be the same one. Not sure how I feel about a Mono JC. It's the stereo swirl of the Chorus that IS the signature feature.

As for only being good for 80's tones, that's nonsense. Turn off the chorus switch and away go the 80s. I can get some fierce tones out one with the right pedals in front of it.

$400 seems to be the average low end for a 120. Usually you can get one that doesn't need any servicing for around that price.

As HIAR wrote, the 120 really is a beast, and way more amp than anyone really needs. If you can live with the hefty size and weight, and don't mind pissing off people in adjacent zip codes, go for it.

As for only being good for 80's tones, that's nonsense. Turn off the chorus switch and away go the 80s. I can get some fierce tones out one with the right pedals in front of it.

If you listen to my brother in law with his old 120, you'd never know it was a JC. Me on the other hand, nothing but 80s from it. Must be the hands, might be the same reason anything I play from a Les Paul sounds like ass.

Reactions: OGG
Looking at the 40 specs - verrryyyy interesting.

I don't see any used around here, but there are new ones for $799 Canookian.

The 40 sounds killer! I've tried it out, and it's legit. Great home or studio amp, but not enough headroom for gigging unless you mic it or run the line outs to the PA.

Street price here is about $600 though, which is a tad steep. Used models are virtually non-existent. It's only been out for about a year and a half, and it appears that everyone who has bought one wants to keep it. I guess that's a good sign. I'd be concerned if the used market was awash with them.

Reactions: Tig
400 loonies is a great deal. I live right on les frontière - if there was one over der at that price, I'd be tempted to go buy it.

Check out the JC77 or the newer JC40. The 40 may not keep up if you're looking to gig, but it's all the home amp you'll ever need.

Yep, I agree. IIRC, I remember reading back in the 90s, that the JC77 was a part of Bob Mould's setup in Sugar. JC120s are like my old Fender Showman head, and my old Hiwatt Custom 100 - beyond loud. So much so, that you'll have everybody else in the band wanting to kill you for blowing them away, if you have the volume much higher than 2 or 3.

Yep, I agree. IIRC, I remember reading back in the 90s, that the JC77 was a part of Bob Mould's setup in Sugar. JC120s are like my old Fender Showman head, and my old Hiwatt Custom 100 - beyond loud. So much so, that you'll have everybody else in the band wanting to kill you for blowing them away, if you have the volume much higher than 2 or 3.

I think Bob used the 120 heads with Marshall 4x12 cabs. But I could be wrong.

The 40 sounds killer! I've tried it out, and it's legit. Great home or studio amp, but not enough headroom for gigging unless you mic it or run the line outs to the PA.

Street price here is about $600 though, which is a tad steep. Used models are virtually non-existent. It's only been out for about a year and a half, and it appears that everyone who has bought one wants to keep it. I guess that's a good sign. I'd be concerned if the used market was awash with them.

I finally saw one when I stopped by Sweetwater the other day. I was surprised how large that thing is.

When I saw Nazareth in '83 their backline was stacks and stacks of JC's. Not sure which model, but they sounded good. I wouldn't have been able to tell they weren't using Marshalls or Fenders or whatever idn_smilie

Reactions: OGG
Back