You can't make this stuff up: Laurie Anderson trapped in a hyperbaric chamber

dmn23

Duller than cardboard
Only Laurie...

Statistical probability of her using this story in a performance piece at some point in the future: 872.4%

nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/07/laurie-anderson-got-stuck-in-hyperbaric-chamber.html

Reactions: Tig
A hyperbaric chamber... with a zipper? And she had her cell phone in there?

I'm guessing this is some sort of spa quackery. Probably about as therapeutic as putting a paper bag over your head and blowing a fan into it... but a lot more expensive.

A hyperbaric chamber... with a zipper? And she had her cell phone in there?

I'm guessing this is some sort of spa quackery. Probably about as therapeutic as putting a paper bag over your head and blowing a fan into it... but a lot more expensive.

Yeah, I never have heard of this kind of "hyperbaric chamber" either.

+1.

Never heard of her before.

But that sucks nonetheless.

This is what is wrong with society. Everyone knows Kim Kardashian, few know Laurie Anderson. Laurie Anderson was the inspiration for my 1980's performance art phase; I saw her in concert three times and attended a talk she gave at UMass Amherst a few years ago. Her stuff always blows me away. She is also the widow of Lou Reed. DMN23 and I are both big fans.

I used to transport patients to and from hyperbaric chamber treatments, mostly for wound healing or carbon monoxide exposure.

This is still one of my favorite albums.
220px-LaurieAnderson_BigScience.JPG

This is what is wrong with society. Everyone knows Kim Kardashian, few know Laurie Anderson. Laurie Anderson was the inspiration for my 1980's performance art phase; I saw her in concert three times and attended a talk she gave at UMass Amherst a few years ago. Her stuff always blows me away. She is also the widow of Lou Reed. DMN23 and I are both big fans.

Because I have never heard of her, it is a reflection of what is wrong with society?
That's a little harsh, don't you think?

Because I have never heard of her, it is a reflection of what is wrong with society?

I read Gary's comment as, "It's unfortunate that the people who are made most famous in our culture often offer the least value, while great artists go largely unknown." Or something to that effect. And I agree.

I don't think it was personal.

Reactions: Tig
Upon discovering that the zipper of the coffin-sized, oxygen-filled tube was stuck, she (understandably) panicked and became short of breath (or, possibly, it was the other way around).

Zipper?

Hyperbaric chambers don't have zippers. These are pressurized modules that are oxygen filled but a sealed - I used to have to pm these.

When spa employees did not respond to her cries for help, she texted a friend, who then called 911.

A patient who enters these chambers are usually just wearing a patient gown. Nothing goes into the chambers but you and the gown.

I used to transport patients to and from hyperbaric chamber treatments, mostly for wound healing or carbon monoxide exposure.

I PM'd them and made basic repairs. Anything more and we got Sechrist involved.

I was just pointing out that everyone hears about celebrities who have no real basis for their celebrity, yet many talented artists are unnoticed by the general public. Rather than "society" I might have more accurately said "this is what is wrong with the media." While there are "superstars" that get a lot of media attention, people like Laurie Anderson spend decades in relative obscurity. I'm sorry if it came across wrong.

I was just pointing out that everyone hears about celebrities who have no real basis for their celebrity, yet many talented artists are unnoticed by the general public. Rather than "society" I might have more accurately said "this is what is wrong with the media." While there are "superstars" that get a lot of media attention, people like Laurie Anderson spend decades in relative obscurity. I'm sorry if it came across wrong.

It's all good. I knew what you were getting at.

OK -- I just looked her up on Youtube, and watched as much of "O Superman" and Sharkey's Day" as I could stomach (not much). Sorry, Gary, but to me that is self-indulgent, pseudo-intellectual garbage. It's nice to know that when the Black Widow finally meets her maker there are understudies in the wings...

Here is one of my favorite songs from Home of the Brave. The opening bit, Drum Dance, is interesting as she took bits from a drum machine and sewed them into the outfit. Smoke Rings, however, is just a fun song.

Again, not for everyone, but my son and I were both big fans.

Back