You and your guitars, have you changed what you used then to now?

I just go through phased depending on the type of music I'm working on at a given time. I was mostly a dual humbucker/relatively higher gain guy for a long time (Les Paul, Firebird etc). Rarely played clean stuff because it exaggerated my suckiness. The main "go to" guitar of choice for 20+ years was an MIJ Contemporary Telecaster with a coil split that satisfied the rare jangly single coil need.

These days, I'm all over the place. For my own music, I'll use whatever specific guitar works best for the song.

For the live band, I have almost no need for Humbuckers at all. I keep a couple of Bucker equipped guitars at the rehearsal studio just in case, but 99% of the time it's going to be a Strat or a Tele.

Been pretty much a Gibson guy for decades... Pre 70s
Hit the stage very early on (1970) with a Gibby and its been ever since...
Added Ibanez back in 80...

Since then gibbys and ibbys have been my firepower...

Never Fender, not exactly sure why but the necks never felt good to me. I've tried...just nope.
Its either a Super Strat (Ibanez armed with Trem) or no strat...

Really hasn't changed over the years. I've added guitars (Gibby/Ibby) but never sold any.
Still record with the axes I used 40 years ago...and some new...but very similar...

I used the money from my 1978 summer job to buy a 77 LP standard. It has remained my only electric guitar. I've tortured it over the years with various pickups and electronics mods, but now it is back to almost stock (it has an ancient DiMarzio PAF in the bridge, and "vintage" tone control wiring.)

I've played many other guitars, but nothing has ever impressed me enough to make me want to own it, save one strat - but its owner won't part with it, even though he doesn't like it (he had it routed for a double locking Floyd Rose and considers it ruined).

I've always wanted to love telecasters - it seems to me to be the guitar you'd get if you asked an engineer to design a solid body electric guitar (I'm an engineer). Unfortunately, my soul always screams "Nooooo" whenever I pick one up to play.

Oh, I did make this mod recently to my LP

IMG_0941.jpg

I used the money from my 1978 summer job to buy a 77 LP standard. It has remained my only electric guitar. I've tortured it over the years with various pickups and electronics mods, but now it is back to almost stock (it has an ancient DiMarzio PAF in the bridge, and "vintage" tone control wiring.)

I've played many other guitars, but nothing has ever impressed me enough to make me want to own it, save one strat - but its owner won't part with it, even though he doesn't like it (he had it routed for a double locking Floyd Rose and considers it ruined).

I've always wanted to love telecasters - it seems to me to be the guitar you'd get if you asked an engineer to design a solid body electric guitar (I'm an engineer). Unfortunately, my soul always screams "Nooooo" whenever I pick one up to play.

Oh, I did make this mod recently to my LP

IMG_0941.jpg

I love stories like this.

I do find that, to do a good show, I would now need to bring three guitars. One twelve-string. a six-string in standard tuning, and a six-string in open D tuning. That's a lot for one guy who isn't Jackson Browne or Graham Nash. Graham Nash changed guitars for every song; a guitar tech would bring out the proper guitar and the proper harmonica in a neck stand. When Nash did two keyboard songs in a row, the tech came out between songs to press the button to switch tones between songs. I thought that was a bit much.

Back