Yet more atonal wankery from our beloved Bill Frisell.

He's gorn all easy-listening in his dotage it's a crying shame.

I bought the Lennon album and it's OK but there's an awful lot of just-being-there-ness there.

He's gorn all easy-listening in his dotage it's a crying shame.

I bought the Lennon album and it's OK but there's an awful lot of just-being-there-ness there.

It seems to definitely get him gigs and airplay. Audiences seem to love nostalgia-themed material. That stuff is tame, but it's still personal and exceedingly well-done.

He can still be crazy, though, albeit mainly on other people's records.

That was nice.

Not really a descriptor I'd consider using for Bill's playing before now but it was.

While this was excellent, I feel like I get how Bill does solo covers of well known pop tunes. I'd rather him write and play new stuff.

Definite preference for his sideman or group work these days.

Most of the earlier stuff I had heard was a little crazier. Recently I've heard him do things like "Shenandoah" which are more in this vein. I guess in my head Bill is a bit more aggressive but I really haven't heard much of his playing since I was in college and recently its been more of these kinds of things which I like but I usually expect something a bit less...consonant I suppose.

Most of the earlier stuff I had heard was a little crazier. Recently I've heard him do things like "Shenandoah" which are more in this vein. I guess in my head Bill is a bit more aggressive but I really haven't heard much of his playing since I was in college and recently its been more of these kinds of things which I like but I usually expect something a bit less...consonant I suppose.

You need to go do some required listening.

I'm not very familiar with him, but I have one (iirc) one his favorite toys, a PDS8000. It's fun to dick around with.

Back