Yea or Nay: INXS - Kick

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
INXS_kick.jpg

released on 19 October, 1987

10 million sold in the U.S.

4 top-10 singles: New Sensation, Never Tear Us Apart, Devil Inside, Need You Tonight

according to wikipedia:

"but Atlantic Records was not happy with the result, as manager Chris Murphy remembers:

They hated it, absolutely hated it. They said there was no way they could get this music on rock radio. They said it was suited for black radio, but they didn't want to promote it that way. The president of the label told me that he'd give us $1 million to go back to Australia and make another album.[1]

Despite Atlantic's protests, Kick was released in October 1987 and provided the band with worldwide popularity, it peaked at No. 1 in Australia,[3] No. 3 on the US Billboard 200,[4] No. 9 in UK,[5] and No. 15 in Austria."

I don't like that Need You Tonight, never did back then and I still don't.

Do you think he was singing about a plastic bag?

I remember that album vividly.

Need You Tonight was over-played, but I remember we played Devil Inside in the band I was in.

Good stuff.

I pref'd Shabooh Soobah and Listen Like theives to Kick. I'd go back and re-listen to the first two but probably pass on Kick since most of it got beat to death on the radio and MTV.

I dug the production. It was kind of dry and minimalist. At the time, most records sounded like everything had to be turned on and going at the same time.

You know that's one album of theirs I didn't much care for. Now, X, Welcome to Wherever You Are, and Elegantly Wasted were all fantastic. I will say that Kick is a million times better than Full Moon, Dirty Hearts. Such a pity about Michael though and to know that after their last re-imagining of tunes that they retired just sucks. They were great at their craft.

A little too polished, but still a good album. On Devil Inside, for example, I totally wanted the band to totally cut loose, and they don't quite get there.

Back