Xotic EP or Dunlop EchoPlex or ClinchFX EP-Pre or... ???

I love my EP booster. I used to always leave it on, but now I am using it as a boost.

I'm kinda looking for that thickening effect that Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen had with their Marshalls. I just found out that the EP3 wasn't in EVH's chain anymore on 1984 and I went "Well, shit, that's why that album doesn't sound as good to me."

Then you'll want to get the ClinchFX.

OK, so I've heard that the Orbit isn't actually that good...

I'm really leaning towards the Xotic (even though it's not an accurate circuit) since it's the most affordable of them... What do you guys think?

OK, so I've heard that the Orbit isn't actually that good...

I'm really leaning towards the Xotic (even though it's not an accurate circuit) since it's the most affordable of them... What do you guys think?

I've always liked mine. I have no idea if it sounds like the echo plex pre amp, but it sounds good.

Last edited:
I've never used one, but the Xotic is very popular, maybe the most popular of these pedals. That says a lot.

Why worry about authentic? Buy it, try it, and see. You can decide if it gets it you where you want go. If it doesn't, it still gives you a plotted point to choose a direction to your destination. Many players love the idea of vintage/authentic gear far more than the experience of using them (with "unique personalities" come "unique personality flaws"). I think that's why Xotic started from scratch on the circuit.

Last edited:
The Orbit Electronix version is supposed to be accurate, too, but much less expensive. What do you think?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I think if you're looking for the mojo from the EP-3 that the 70's guys used, the ClinchFX is the way to go. If you want to save a few bucks on it, he makes a tiny, always on version called the PicoPre. Same circuit, just no switch. Incidentally, that's the one I went with. Totally worth it, IMO.

I think if you're looking for the mojo from the EP-3 that the 70's guys used, the ClinchFX is the way to go. If you want to save a few bucks on it, he makes a tiny, always on version called the PicoPre. Same circuit, just no switch. Incidentally, that's the one I went with. Totally worth it, IMO.
How much did you pay for yours?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back