WTH?!? EVH knobs are all cracked...

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
:(

:mad:

I was just playing it a couple of days ago, knobs were fine. Cranked it up today to do a little practicing, and saw this:

Every single knob has a crack like that on it. Some don't look as bad, but wtf?

I live alone, so I can't blame the cat/kids. Anybody ever hear of winter weather doing that to plastic knobs? I keep the house at about 68F, and I'm sure it's somewhat dry in here, the last couple of days having outside temps of below zero F.

Man, you musta been playin' that thing loud!!!!

Seriously though, it's not like they are bakelite or anything, so they shouldn't have cracked.....unless the set screws were tightened by Hulk Hogan.

That's what I'm wondering.

It has to be the cold, dry weather. And probably very cheaply made plastic.

Anybody know where I can buy some replacement knobs? I need 11 knobs, with some sort of marker on them at least, so I know where I'm at 1-10 wise.

Well, I've had the amp for about 1 1/2 years now. Seems like if Hulk Hogan had tightened them they'd have cracked before this, but what do I know? Maybe it's a combination of overtighness & the dry/cold?

Seriously though I was just using it two days ago and didn't see a thing.

Crack? I thought Eddie was more a meth man.
(emphasis on was)
EddieVanHalen.jpg

See how the cracks originate from the same point of both of those knobs? There's also a little indicator on the knob in that area that looks like that's where the vent in the mold would have been. When the plastic is injected, most likely from the opposite side, it needs to go around a pin to form the hole where the pot shaft goes. When the plastic meets again on the other side of the pin it forms a knit line or weld line. Often times this knit line is problematic, especially on inexpensive parts like knobs and things. If the plastic wasn't hot enough when it met back up, it doesn't knit together well...and with constant pressure from the set screw that is perpendicular to the crack, it can let go over time. Now that's as best as I can tell from that picture and the propagation of the cracks don't necessarily seem to be following where a knit line would flow, but something brittle could migrate away from the knit.

Just a thought -- I wonder if the amp components heat up enough to cause the pot shafts to expand a little while the knobs are still cold.

It's not the cold and dry. We have that in spades here and that has never happened.

Write the amp manufacturer and try to get them to send/sell you some.

I would contact Fender. Since it happened to every knob, I'm betting (as Tele was alluding to) that you got a bad batch of knobs and I bet that Fender sends you a new set.

I think I'm going to go with the knobs from Tele's link.

I want to get a red knob for each gain position (2) leave the tone controls & presence knobs white (7) and I want the volume knobs (2) to be a different color, but I can't decide what.

Blue, maybe? Black?

I think I'm going to go with the knobs from Tele's link.

I want to get a red knob for each gain position (2) leave the tone controls & presence knobs white (7) and I want the volume knobs (2) to be a different color, but I can't decide what.

Blue, maybe? Black?
Make sure you get the correct shaft size.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Back