GPOTD WTF!! 5-18-17

(Woke up to the Cornell news yesterday and forgot all about it. Sorry guys. This is what I had picked out).

Epiphone Regent Deluxe 1951 Blonde
https://reverb.com/item/386858-epiphone-regent-deluxe-1951-blonde

BAck.jpeg
BAck2.jpeg
Front.jpeg
Front2.jpeg
HeadstockBack.jpeg

10-0883 nice guitar ready to play strings are old last time replaced early 80s.

(From a vintage guitar info place as the seller put no details: http://www.guitarhq.com/epiphon2.html#emperor )

• 1951 Epiphone Deluxe Zephyr Regent
    epidl51s.jpg

Epiphone Deluxe (acoustic), Zephyr Deluxe (electric), Zephyr Deluxe Regent archtops.
    Collectibility Rating: Acoustic Cutaway model: B+, Electric Cutaway model: C-, Acoustic Non-Cutaway model: C+.
    On-par with Gibson's L-5, but not nearly as collectible because the Epi name just doesn't have the collectibility Gibson has. The Empire is the tenor version of the Deluxe and was available from 1931 to 1939.

• 16 3/8" wide, maple back and sides, 3 ply binding on top and back, single bound fingerboard, bound peghead, gold plated parts.
      1931 Deluxe introduction specs:
      • Diamonds and triangle fingerboard inlay.
      • 3 segment F-holes.
      • Masterbilt peghead with flowers.
      • Tenor version available called theEmpire (discontinued 1939).
      1934 Deluxe specs:
      • Foral and notched diamond fingerboard inlays.
      • White pickguard.
      • Vine peghead inlay.

• 1937 Deluxe specs:
      • 17 3/8" wide body.
      • Dark pickguard extends below bridge.
      • Standard bound F-holes.
      • Cloud fingerboard inlay.
      1939 Deluxe specs:
      • Frequensator tailpiece.
      • Natural finish optional.
      • Center dip peghead.
      1941 Zephyr Deluxe specs:
      • Electric (Zephyr) version available: 1 pickup in bridge position, volume and tone control on 1 shaft with circular "MasterVoicer" control plate.

1950 Deluxe, Zephyr Deluxe, Zephyr Deluxe Regent specs:
    • Cutaway version (Regent) available.
    • Laminated maple or spruce top or electric versions.
    • New York style pickup(s) on Zephyr Deluxe.
    • Single pickup Zephyr Deluxe has pickup in neck position.
    • Two pickups available with slotted Strat-style switch.
    • Two knobs mounted on circular "MasterVoicer" control plate.
    • Rosewood fingerboard.
    • Some with Emperor style pearl/abalone V-block fingerboard inlays.
    1951 Zephyr Deluxe, Zephyr Deluxe Regent specs:
    • Knobs in line parallel to strings.
    • "MasterVoicer" control plate discontinued.

Last edited:
I dig it. Very hot.

SVL - hope you're malpractice insurance is paid and up to date. Blowing deadlines is not good.

It’s interesting, but I doubt anybody will pay that much for it. Especially now that it’s been on sale for over two years.

something i would probably appreciate a lot more in 20 years. im sure its really nice though.

I am not absolutely sure on the top. One of the reasons I posted it is I listened to a jazz trio in Salt Lake City, where a guy had a blonde cutaway Epi archtop jazz guitar from that era. Not sure if it was the same type exactly, but pretty close. It sounded awesome, and looked beautiful. I went up and talked to him about it, and he was very happy to share about his guitar, which he obviously loved. If I were to treat myself to a vintage blonde archtop, I would want a similar Epi, rather than one that said Gibson on it. Just because. And because as linked above in the OP, the Gibsons are much more "collectible."

I am not absolutely sure on the top. One of the reasons I posted it is I listened to a jazz trio in Salt Lake City, where a guy had a blonde cutaway Epi archtop jazz guitar from that era. Not sure if it was the same type exactly, but pretty close. It sounded awesome, and looked beautiful. I went up and talked to him about it, and he was very happy to share about his guitar, which he obviously loved. If I were to treat myself to a vintage blonde archtop, I would want a similar Epi, rather than one that said Gibson on it. Just because. And because as linked above in the OP, the Gibsons are much more "collectible."

Yeah, Gibson has done a wonderful job of marketing itself as the premier jazz guitar brand, but Epiphone (even well into their acquisition by CMI, who also owned Gibson) was making equally good guitars. As Mark can attest, so was Guild. In fact, Guild started out only making hollowbody jazz guitars. Guild's quality never really wavered, even after Fender bought them in '95.

When I was convinced I wanted to Steve Howe ( very brief period, although I still adore his playing), I was going to get a full hollowbody. It was not, however, going to be a Es-175, t'was looking at a Guild X-150 or 170. The Epis with mini-HBs seem quite sweet though...

Back