Would this be hard to make? (DIY pedal)

I'm currently using a Mooer Black Secret (Rat/Turbo Rat clone) through an EP Booster clone for my big, Gilmour-ish lead sounds. Mooer brings the distortion, while the EP makes everything sound bigger, warmer, and just harmonically sweeter.

I want that sound in one pedal. Wanna be able to just stomp my foot and get that sound. Also, I wanna be able to blend in the EP's signal, so that I can fine tune how much warmth I want my distortion sound to have, rather than just have two switches like so many double drive pedals.

My intention is asking a local builder to make one, as he did that EP clone and it's a fine piece of gear. I wanna check online first to see if it's feasible.

:hmm:
I have a Black Secret too.
This would be a nice mod. Let us know how it works out.

The EP boost is only one knob, so while it isn't 100% the same as a "blend" knob, I think it would work close enough to that without adding a knob, but even if you did, that is certainly doable.

What, like a cross between the two? The reason I'm asking is because I once had a Cornish G2, which I sold. The tone I really loved, especially the feel of it, and combining the EP and the Mooer, I get a similar feel. Not the same tone, of course, but the response resembles the Cornish.

A builder can do this for you. The hardest part is there really aren't any PCB clones of the EP booster. It can be done with tag or perfboard.

There are also blending circuits if you don't want to use the knob. Though @Chad makes a good point about the single knob doing the trick.

And if we wanted to complicate it more... You can add a toggle switch to swap the order RAT>Boost or Boost>RAT.

EDIT - I just saw the EP was a clone. You're good.

There are also blending circuits if you don't want to use the knob. Though @Chad makes a good point about the single knob doing the trick.
Yeah, I just don't know if that will do what I'm looking for, which is that the EP's effect on the sound will gradually become part of the basic RAT distortion. I like the original sound, but I find it too thin for most of my needs, but then when I turn on the EP the sound changes pretty drastically. If I could add just a little bit of that sweet EP awesomeness, that would give a lot of variation. Kinda like various levels of fattening up the RAT distortion, without overpowering it or take away its bite.

And if we wanted to complicate it more... You can add a toggle switch to swap the order RAT>Boost or Boost>RAT.
True. Haven't used it that way, but I can see the appeal.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention which pedal I'm talking about. Here it is, took a snap on the kitchen counter just now:

Gz9oyEx.jpg

0skHA+

Last edited:
Back