Would this annoy you with a guitar dealer?

Update:

Me: Thanks for your time but I'm going to pass. While your price is great, I'm disappointed you weren't willing to spend a few minutes take a picture of the imperfection on the guitar. I am ready to buy but any other dealer would have the courtesy to take a simple picture for a potential customer

It's a shame because I've read such positive reviews about you. Thanks again.

Him: you'/re passing for nothing then. i'd never be able to get you a picture where you could see anything, and i broke my camera last week.
i was 15 miles away, you could have seen it in person.....

Me: Thank you for the response. When I asked you to take a picture you said that the price would have to go up. You never mentioned anything about breaking your camera. Even a simple cellphone pic would have been ok.

Him: it would, because it would take me 1/2 hour to try and get a really ****ty shot to show anything with my backup camera [which is better than my regular but takes horrible macro shots and is shooting the entire left side blurry anyway. i took pictures of a guitar since then and it was a waste, i'll be throwing it away and buying a new camera] (sends pics)
i told you, it's 1mm and if you could find it you wouldn't care, why would my cell camera be able to shoot it if it's nearly impossible with my camera i shoot macro with. i also told you if it was simple i could make it cheap and once it's not it not going to be as cheap.
nothing there not easy to understand.
no problem on you passing, i put it back in the rack as soon as i finished looking at it. i'll list it and sell it for more when i have time.

Me: Good luck with that

I think its strange you wouldn't drive 15 miles to try it out. I'd much rather play a guitar before buying when the opportunity is available.

In the end the guy saved you from selling it for a loss in 2 weeks. you should be thanking him.

UPDATE: The seller/dealer and I went back and forth quite a bit last night. It escalated pretty quickly, but we both came down to earth just as fast.

He explained that his camera was broke and sent me examples of some pics that he took... the focus was just off. I don't know why he couldn't just use his cellphone to take the pics, but I didn't push it. He was reaching out trying to explain the circumstances and I accepted his reasoning.

In the end, he wished me luck on my search and I wished him luck on his sale.

And for those who questioned why I wouldn't drive the 15 miles to try it. If I saw a pic and it had a blemish that would affect the resale, then I wouldn't buy it. Why waste my time if I could be shown the blemish upfront?

Also, I have less than 2 hours of decompression after I put my kids to bed at night and when I have to go to sleep. I consider my time valuable... just as he does. But that's his business...

I only know a few guitars stores that aren't run by egotistical jackasses. You made the right choice. Consumers have many more choices these days so don't put up with bad customer service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I'm solely playing my Tele these days, except in rehearsals, where I play my Ibanez Artist. You've got some great guitars. Just play them.
I keep thinking of doing something similar. Focus on one guitar. Not exclusively, since I have several that are great, but play one until I just know it inside and out.

Yeah, you screwed up.

I know we're supposed to take sides w/ you, but at that price he's making very little, and apparently taking a pic isn't one minute for him. Think of the math:
# Him: probably making $50 or so (if that) on deal
* You: saving several hundred.

I'd have driven out, not the least because you could have seen if you liked how it felt.

I'd have driven 15 minutes to check it out. But, I drive 15 minutes to buy milk, so there's that.
Not minutes, miles. 15 miles in South Jersey could take 45-60 minutes due to poorly thought out roads, stupid people, trees, and The Jersey Devil. My wife lived in Blackwood it would routinely take an hour to get to Mt Laurel.

Not minutes, miles. 15 miles in South Jersey could take 45-60 minutes due to poorly thought out roads, stupid people, trees, and The Jersey Devil. My wife lived in Blackwood it would routinely take an hour to get to Mt Laurel.

Sounds about right. 15 miles here takes longer than 15 minutes. That's for sure

Back