Would this annoy you with a guitar dealer?

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Kind of annoyed but the price is pretty good...

So there is a guitar I am interested in that normally sells for $1300 new. I posted on a different forum that I was looking for the model and was contacted by a local dealer that specializes only in this brand with a price of $750(plus tax).

I have bought parts from them before. He told me that it is a brand new factory second that has a pinpoint sized dimple on it. I liked the price and asked him for a pic of the dimple to make sure it wasn't something that was easy to spot.

Here's how the rest of the conversation went:

Him: i'd open the package, inspect, make sure there is nothing worse than tag states, and do a plug in test.

Me: That price would work for me as long as dimples aren't too crazy. Is it a factory 2nd? Does it come with a gigbag or case? Do you think I could get pics of the dimples?

Him: if i have to start taking pictures price is going up, no longer an easy deal. but you're close enough to pick up. case, factory second

Me: Got it. I'll have to give it some thought then. Time is limited(3 babies at home). I would hate to drive to meet you and find out the dimples are a deal breaker. I hope you understand

Him: it's only 15 miles. 1 dimple, 1mm, that's it, if you can find it you will not care.

To be honest, I'm kind of put off that this guy won't take a pic of the guitar. In today's market, I would imagine that he would take the pic to get my business. I don't think asking him to take a pic of the guitar(which he would have to do if he was going to post it on his website to sell) is too much to ask.

I'm thinking of walking away from the deal because that doesn't sit well with me. I don't want to waste over an hour of my time to check out a guitar that might have defects to turn me off.

Walk away. He won't get the guitar out of the box to take a photo, then he can't have even checked whether it basically works which I would expect anyone honest to do before selling online.

Asking for a pic is normal. From his response, you would think you asked him to bring the guitar to your house to check it out.

Sounds like the seller is being a dick. Maybe he doesn’t want to spend an hour trying to find a tiny finish flaw that’s barely visible, but if that’s the case, he should just say so.

I think the seller is thinking exactly the same as you:

"this guy says he is interested but can't even be bothered to drive 15 miles to come and have a look"

From his point of view he may have had to deal with a lot of bullshitters who wasted his time

How hard is it to take a cell phone pic? Most of the music store help these days spend hours leaning on the counter doing nothing anyway.

Lemme put my detective hat on.
you went and saw Andy Timmons the other week so now your on the quest for his sig Ibanez? or it was Col. Mustard in the library with the pipe wrench.

I think the seller is thinking exactly the same as you:

"this guy says he is interested but can't even be bothered to drive 15 miles to come and have a look"

From his point of view he may have had to deal with a lot of bullshitters who wasted his time
Idk...if it's a factory second/b stock guitar, he can't sell it for normal retail anyway so a quick pic of the blem could seal the deal and get that guitar sold right now. Sale today to a local buyer would motivate me to snap a quick phone pic

I think he's being ridiculous by not taking a pic....however, if you're interested I would think it's a short drive and most likely would be worthwhile to you.

Back