Would love any thoughts on after-school recording club

Danhedonia

Noted duckfat enthusiast
I used to work with major label/major-indie label (lulz) artists - as a promoter/exploiter. I had a label, etc.

Fast forward 20 years and now I teach HS math in New Mexico. In the spirit of paying forward I am volunteering my time 2x/week to host an after-school recording club.

The idea is that students will choose material (original or otherwise), and we will record them on my iPad. We'll use some real mics (nothing fancy, NT-1A's and SM-57's and 58's), DrumPerfectPro and a few of my guitars/basses to start to introduce them to the world of recording, arranging, etc.

I'm not an experienced or good engineer but I'm ok as a producer (i.e., 'what if we went half tempo on that middle eight?' or 'try to relax, you're over-singing') and hey, I'm old-school punk-DIY: we're in it together, they'll teach me and maybe I'll teach them.

First meeting had five kids, and we have two rules so far:
1. No getting me in trouble (lyrics, etc.); and
2. Please be on time. (they were all on time for the first meeting, and kids around here are pretty polite)

My question for any and all of you is: got any suggestions? I've never taught guitar or anything musical. I'm not musically knowledgeable, and in fact I look forward to some of the kids just blowing me away and hope I manage to capture their abilities. What are your recommendations?

Other than what you already know a big part of what I teach my students in this kind of setting is about arranging instruments to create dynamics and texture in a recording. Get them thinking about the bigger picture, and not just their own part.

Thanks. By and large, we have mostly 'solo' artists so far. One rapper, one EDM kid, two shredders who are soloing, and then a band-leader who has others. Our caveat is that, for the moment, I don't want to deal with full drumkits (time setting up and breaking down; miking will be onerous; etc).

I'm hopeful to show them that with a few small investments and a gentle push, they won't need me at all and can go off on their own and start making music. They're certainly capable players and in the case of the band-leader, already putting songs together fairly well.

Does anyone have any thoughts about goals? Is the idea of working on a song at a time good? Bad? I honestly have no clue.

Back