Winter specific tires: Blizzak vs. Green Diamond

In buying my Passat TDI wagon, I am going to get winter specific tires on steelie rims for winter use. These cars are pretty sure footed in the snow, but it is a FWD car and not AWD and having good tires helps. I want to go with studless snow tires.

I can get a set of 15 inch (the right size) steel wheels with Bridgestone Blizzaks for $564 new, or can get a set of nearly new Green Diamond snow tires on rims that are balanced, with hub caps (not that I really care about hub caps on winter wheels) from a TDI club forum member who is asking $550. This set up cost him $900 new, he used them once (under 250 miles) then did not need them. I was going to offer him $500 cash. The Green Diamonds seem well regarded, and I save tax, etc. But the Blizzaks are fairly well regarded too. Hmm.

Info on the Green Diamond tires here.
http://www.greendiamondtire.com

I don't have any experience with the Green Diamond brand, but I have always felt that the Blizzak tire is a bit overhyped and overpriced...

Blizzaks are fine... I've had a few sets and no complaints. Never heard of green diamond.

These are supposed to be the Kings of winter

http://www.nokiantires.com/tires/passenger-car/winter-tires/
I think you'd be fine with either set, to be quite honest.
I had Nokian Hakkas (studded) on my Alfa, not that I drove it a ton in the snow. And they were nice, but I want to go studless. I know Nokian makes them, but if I go new, Blizzaks seem cheaper. The Green Diamond ones are supposed to be 45000 mile tires, Alaskans love them, and are premium like Nokian. I think I would be fine with either too, though if the guy takes my offer on the GD's, I save 70 bucks before tax, and get hub caps that I will then flip on fleabay. If he holds to his $550 price, I could get the new ones, with road hazard warranty thrown in.

i've had very good luck with Firestone Winterforce tires on front wheel drive cars.....just sayin, if we're talking about good snow tires.

And as long as I am talking about it, since I will have winter specific tires, which summer tire do you think? They will be 17 inch rims I think. (could be 16 I will double check,, but I am pretty sure 17).
IMG_20141112_165546_654.jpg

Back