Windows 10?

I came across Bill Gates' "yacht". :eek:
bill-gates-family.jpg
I see he's still keeping it parked in the pond in his backyard. :grin:

Reactions: Tig
I came across Bill Gates' "yacht". :eek:
bill-gates-family.jpg

Turns out he was just renting it for $5 million a week.

So far so good. I had to upgrade my display adapter to get my dual screens back. I like that they went back to a start menu. When I went from 7 to 8, I hated that.

Hold up on that carwash gentlemen. ..

My audio is FUBAR.

Yes, it "works", but just barely.

Any VSTi that I run, cripples the machine and the sound goes all glitchy like when your buffer settings are too low. Regardless of those settings, and regardless of which interface I plug in, the problem persists.

Here's the rub though, I'm all but certain it's not the audio drivers, but is actually the OS.

Watching the resource monitor, it appears that it is forcing all of the processing for each VSTi to a single core. I'm sure of it.

Why, is a question I can't begin to answer. One of the big improvements that started with win8 was a much better ability to thread processing over multiple cores.

If I try and run those programs in compatibility mode, it wipes out the liscenses and disables the programs because the "System footprint has changed". I know they worked great in Win 7.

Not sure what to do at this point. I like the OS. DirectX 12 is amazing, but I may have no choice but to revert.

There's no way that a software synth released 7 years ago should be able to overburden a modern 3.6 GHZ 8 core machine running 32 Gigs of RAM and all Solid State Drives.

I'm just going to watch this for a while before I decide. Unlike most I am quite ok with Win8.1 and I don't really need to upgrade. It is my understanding that I don't need to wipe the old OS first which makes it somewhat more palatable but I think waiting is a better option since it was clearly released with a few (maybe more than a few) bugs

OK, been using it for a coupla-few days.

I can safely say, it's not terrible. Way better than 8, which my wifes laptop still has.

It DOES seem to start faster than Win7, and it definitely shuts down faster.

I kinda wish I could go back to the Win7 windows controls / theme. Not a huge fan of everything looking so flat. I like the Linux windows managers let you swap out they frame controls and menu look/theme so easily, wish windows did that.
I miss Aero, actually. I liked the transparencies in certain apps.

Starting to become exceptionally unhappy. I turned off all of the known vulnerabilities, yet my network map shows a Netgear R8000 Router connected to my network.

I don't have a Netgear R8000. I have an ASUS RT-N56U, which also shows up in the map.

That particular Netgear router is their new, super Gucci tri-band monster that costs a bloody fortune. I don't know which of my neighbors owns one, but it appears one of them does.

Motherfucker.

Starting to become exceptionally unhappy. I turned off all of the known vulnerabilities, yet my network map shows a Netgear R8000 Router connected to my network.

I don't have a Netgear R8000. I have an ASUS RT-N56U, which also shows up in the map.

That particular Netgear router is their new, super Gucci tri-band monster that costs a bloody fortune. I don't know which of my neighbors owns one, but it appears one of them does.

Motherfucker.

That would be me.

Motherfucker.
Are you on their Outlook contacts list? Maybe they enabled WiFi sharing and you're automatically in. Free internet access!

Are you on their Outlook contacts list? Maybe they enabled WiFi sharing and you're automatically in. Free internet access!
Fuck if I know. All I do know, is that is some kind of bullshit. I don't want to be connected to other networks period.

I'm NOT ok with that, and would really like some clarification from MS on how that whole thing supposedly works and how to kill it.

Also, apparently MS "got serious" about Audio with Win10. They got all sorts of people involved directly including PropellerHead and AKAI.

They effectively made Win10 "capable" of running DAWs with the minimal, motherboard supplied audio chip. At least, so they say in the hour long video hyping the shit out of it.

That's all well and good, but it is that very implementation that is now forcing all audio and MIDI tasks to one processor core and basically making my machine (and interfaces) useless.

Well done assholes.

Fuck if I know. All I do know, is that is some kind of bullshit. I don't want to be connected to other networks period.

I'm NOT ok with that, and would really like some clarification from MS on how that whole thing supposedly works and how to kill it.

Also, apparently MS "got serious" about Audio with Win10. They got all sorts of people involved directly including PropellerHead and AKAI.

They effectively made Win10 "capable" of running DAWs with the minimal, motherboard supplied audio chip. At least, so they say in the hour long video hyping the shit out of it.

That's all well and good, but it is that very implementation that is now forcing all audio and MIDI tasks to one processor core and basically making my machine (and interfaces) useless.

Well done assholes.
Are you on Android or iOS. I dunno if there's an iOS version, but on Android there's an app called Fing. I use it when I'm connected to a network to see all the devices attached to the network and see the IP addresses and it enables me to figure out how they're attached to my network.

A screen cap from that might help figure out what's going on with that.

Are you on Android or iOS. I dunno if there's an iOS version, but on Android there's an app called Fing. I use it when I'm connected to a network to see all the devices attached to the network and see the IP addresses and it enables me to figure out how they're attached to my network.

A screen cap from that might help figure out what's going on with that.
Thanks, downloaded the app. Pretty cool. That mysterious Netgear didn't show up, but I'm still perplexed by why it showed up before. I'm guessing windows 10 is likely chock full of security vulnerabilities.

As it is, win7 is currently finishing a clean install on my PC.

I gave trying to make 10 get along with my stuff. Not worth the trouble. If I was a Gamer, I'd be more inclined to keep it because of the massive possibilities for DirectX 12, but since I'm not, no biggie.

There's Fing for IOS. Handy dandy app to have.

But it only finds devices by IP addresses.

The Netgear may be being discovered by Win 10 with another protocol.
It does have a bunch of services like DLNA and file sharing, etc.

Thanks, downloaded the app. Pretty cool. That mysterious Netgear didn't show up, but I'm still perplexed by why it showed up before. I'm guessing windows 10 is likely chock full of security vulnerabilities.

As it is, win7 is currently finishing a clean install on my PC.

I gave trying to make 10 get along with my stuff. Not worth the trouble. If I was a Gamer, I'd be more inclined to keep it because of the massive possibilities for DirectX 12, but since I'm not, no biggie.
No problemo.

Where did you see that router as a connected device?

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

I just bought a new laptop so now would be a good time to do it....it has just about only what was originally loaded on it. Plus a chess app I loaded.

I just bought a new laptop so now would be a good time to do it....it has just about only what was originally loaded on it. Plus a chess app I loaded.
After I did a fresh Win 7 install last night and downloaded all of the updates, I cloned that install to a new SSD and removed the one with the clean install. I did another Win10 upgrade on the new SSD with the fresh Win7 install and will see what happens as I load up all of my stuff.

Worst case scenario, is that it's still a shitburger, and I have to swap out the SSD drives back to the fresh Win7. Easy peasy.

Back