Windows 10?

Solitaire returns*

* $1.49 a month or $9.99 a year to get extra features as well as hiding advertisements

Did they actually do this or is it just an internet joke? Since they put ads into the weather app of Win 8 I can’t tell when Microsoft is being mocked or being genuinely horrible.

You realize that Win7 is just Vista with the print spooler fixed, right?
Had no idea..And you're speaking Greek to me..

All I know is I tried to upgrade,(if you want to call it that), about a year ago and had nothing but problems. I changed the date back to Vista and it works like a charm..Again..
That's on my home pc....Government work pc is a different story but I don't concern myself with that......

So the update is an ISO image that you burn to DVD? I figured it would be a download & auto-install kind of thing.

So the update is an ISO image that you burn to DVD? I figured it would be a download & auto-install kind of thing.
For me it was 3gb download and run via windows update. It was already downloaded and ready to run when I was prompted to install. I did sign up for the upgrade previously

I did the download thing too.

I actually forced it to start. It took a few tries to get a clean download. Searching up the error code proved useful believe it or not.

My downloads were a LOT larger than 3GB though. I think the last attempt was around 10GB.
No idea why, but I've got unlimited download capacity so I didn't really care. I was doing other stuff on other computers while the attempts were being made. So, it was no impact on my time either.

Still on the fence here. I've been quite happy with Win 8.1 no issues at all other than the problems I had when I tried unsuccessfully to install PT 8 (which was not qualified for Win 7/8 but some people said they were able to get it to work so I tried several times before giving up). So that wasn't a Windows issue but a Pro Tools one.

But I don't really care to reinstall everything if I download a new OS. Even if I have all of the data on a separate drive and the SSD contains only the OS. I have the time to mess with it but I don't really want the hassles..especially ones associated with having to explain all of the changes to my wife. It's my understanding that I can download it for free right now...does that just download the OS but you can install it later? I might do that since I have 3 HD (one is the SSD) and have plenty of storage

I just downloaded the ISO image and burned it to DVD. My laptop is Win7 and controlled by our IT dept, but hers is 8.1. I don't think she wants to be an early adopter, but I'll have the DVD if/when she wants to pull the trigger.

So far I've heard mostly good things. The WiFi sharing seems to be the biggest complaint so far.

3+ GB download? Yeah, not gonna happen on our satellite link. I might download it at work, burn it to a USB, and take it home though. :embarrassed:

Windows 10.jpg

Holding off now, major thunder and lightning, concerned that the power will blink during the install... that might be bad.

That's quite an understatement. Win 7 has performance improvements, uac improvements, enhanced graphics capabilities, ui improvements and core streamlining just to name a few differences over Vista
I'm the oddball tech that had no significant issues with Vista. My big gripe was the print spooler would just constantly shit the bed.

I was just simplifying for TP since he seems to have an issue with anything newer than Vista running, which he shouldn't.

Anyone still using XP after this release should be beat with a week old bologna roll.
Anybody still using XP after this should just bend over and goatse themselves for all the virii they're going to get.

Still on the fence here. I've been quite happy with Win 8.1 no issues at all other than the problems I had when I tried unsuccessfully to install PT 8 (which was not qualified for Win 7/8 but some people said they were able to get it to work so I tried several times before giving up). So that wasn't a Windows issue but a Pro Tools one.

But I don't really care to reinstall everything if I download a new OS. Even if I have all of the data on a separate drive and the SSD contains only the OS. I have the time to mess with it but I don't really want the hassles..especially ones associated with having to explain all of the changes to my wife. It's my understanding that I can download it for free right now...does that just download the OS but you can install it later? I might do that since I have 3 HD (one is the SSD) and have plenty of storage

Skip the Evil Empire POS ProTools if you don't want to encounter driver/os issues.
They're notoriously slow on catching up when new OS's get released.

PT is the SM57 of DAW software, everyone thinks they need it because "everyone" else is using it.

Fwiw I've been using another software for over a decade with no issues either with drivers or OS (2000, XP, 7 and 8). Only Pro Tools users tend to "suck it up". If you're not required to have it for professional purposes, don't. Most of the other mid to high end daw software can do the same stuff as PT, with much less hassle.

Not really directed at you personally, but a general pet peeve. :embarrassed:

I haven't gotten my download invite yet. As a beta tester, I already had it on a secondary boot set up.

I got a new link sent from the beta group to download the upgrade, which I did. The first install attempt went FUBAR when it dropped the Nvidia card and defaulted to the AMD that wasn't plugged into anything.

Second attempt sort of succeeded, but then asked me for my new serial key which I don't have because I never got the official email invite.

Dicks.

Back