Windows 10?

I'm thinking about it. I have a friend who's a beta tester, and he's had positive things to say about it.

Every time I've veered from Vista ,(yup,aprox seven years),on my home puter I've run into problems..

Mine works fine with Vista and that's where it will stay until I replace the system totally.........

Not interested. Microsoft has been nothing but trouble my entire adult life, so I’m not going to push my luck when my Windows 7 install works. And I dislike touch-based computing, so having a desktop UI built for that is an even bigger turnoff.

I use windows in emulation for my bankruptcy software and for some divorce related child support software. I frankly wish I could go back to XP Pro. I currently have 8.1 Upgrading to the next version will not happen until I hear it is nice and stripped down without a bunch of bloat. Meanwhile, a buddy of mine posted this on FB. He said:

Upgrading to Windows 10 is easy! All you have to do is this:

11224675_10205949306283635_784434643184398104_n.jpg

Last edited:
I frankly wish I could go back to XP Pro.

I want to go back to Windows 2000. That was a great operating system. Microsoft fixed most of the nasties in NT 4 and Win 98SE but they hadn’t started dumbing down the UI yet. My Win2K machines ran like tanks.

Ran the install/upgrade from Windows 7 last night while I made dinner. It looked like it was dead in the water a few times during the process but it ran through w/o an issue.
All of the installed programs are still present and most function; icons are blank for a few oddball legacy programs & 1 needed to be re-registered and reconfigured from scratch.
Lots of useless crap in the start menu for me but it looks like it's mostly removable from view

So far......
Pros:
boot is genuinely faster than w/ Windows 7
Edge is actually usable and reasonably fast, less glitchy than IE (though it still seems to have some issues with page loads w/ lots of yt vids and ads)

Cons:
Not really a fan of many of the 'express settings' that can be used during install. Sharing my wifi password w/ all of my facebook friends, contacts, etc? no thanks.
Some embedded ads & crapware. Looks like they've really opened the doors to throwing contextual ads at users across the computing experience.
Minor program issues post upgrade

I currently have 8.1 Upgrading to the next version will not happen until I hear it is nice and stripped down without a bunch of bloat.

Not gonna happen. You'll have to de-bloat it yourself. But small price to pay.

Last edited:
I've been running an evaluation copy for 6+ months and love it. Light, fast, stable.

Just did the upgrade to 10 Pro at work yesterday and so far it looks great. I'll probably back up my home PC and do the upgrade this weekend.

Unless you opt out, W10 will by default share your Wi-Fi network password (well, an encrypted version) with any contacts you may have listed in Outlook and Skype — and, with an opt-in, your Facebook friends. :facepalm:
If they are in range of your home, they'll have access to your WiFi automatically.

Unless you opt out, W10 will by default share your Wi-Fi network password (well, an encrypted version) with any contacts you may have listed in Outlook and Skype — and, with an opt-in, your Facebook friends. :facepalm:
If they are in range of your home, they'll have access to your WiFi automatically.

yea.....i read that, but i thought i read that you COULD block it from everyone. i also read that 10 would try it's best to push you to bing for all your searches. i've got 7 and don't see any problems with it, so unless i HAVE to upgrade (7 no longer being supported/patched) then i think i'm staying with what i have.

Reactions: Tig
yea.....i read that, but i thought i read that you COULD block it from everyone. i also read that 10 would try it's best to push you to bing for all your searches. i've got 7 and don't see any problems with it, so unless i HAVE to upgrade (7 no longer being supported/patched) then i think i'm staying with what i have.

Yep, 7 is plenty fine for me. I have it at work, too. It is the most stable Windows OS I've seen to date.

The os level search feature will search your pc and the Web... The web via bing by default.

But it's not like you can't open your browser and search from whatever search site you want or configure ff and chrome to use whatever engine you desire and so forth

I loaded a VM with it in June to give it a look. The little time I spent with it I didn't see much difference with it and windows 8. I'll probably install it today

I upgraded my main computer at home (an ancient Dell Core Duo machine with 4GB RAM) last night. The upgrade part went without a hitch, but as someone else noted, it did appear to be stuck at times.

The only negative so far is that the NVIDIA driver for the graphics card kept failing to install when using the NVIDIA installer. I had to find the uncompressed driver files on my hard drive, copy them to a different location, then tell device manager to search that folder for for the updated driver.

It doesn't seem any faster or slower than Windows 7 on that same hardware.

I did the deed.

It took a few tries to get it done. I think I was having some download issues because I saw different download sizes each time.

For what I use my PC for, I don't really notice much of a difference in terms of a usability perspective from 8.1.
Sure, things are different but not obnoxiously so. I need to spend some more time to find any new things.

Back