Windows 10?

Of course the skipping of Windows 9 would have nothing to do with wanting to distance themselves from Windows 8, now, would it...:rolleyes:...

It's just like going from Vista to 7...my long standing policy of skipping every 2nd release has really been paying off...

Reactions: Tig
I’m unenthused. They took the bloated Metro UI and fused to the broken old Start menu. How about just one UI convention that isn’t an annoying mess? I can’t remember all the icons. I don’t want to keep reorganizing the start menu. And I have better things to do than screw around with a dynamic grid of icons and widgets and web updates. All I need to launch apps on a touchscreen is a big list of installed apps that scrolls if it fills the screen.

On the upside, at least they’re going forward with the notion that tablets can be real computers. Beats the hell out of Apple’s walled garden of knockoff pay-to-play video games.

Not only did Microsoft notice that a lot of companies passed on Windows 8, but they also noticed that people like me chose to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 to keep a semi-familiar environment.

I'm obviously a Mac guy but I own two windows laptops for my kids...one with Windows 7 that has been bulletproof (except for one reinstall) for years and a Windows 8.1 machine that works fine. The best part is that I don't have to use them on a regular basis but for me the reality is that they both work WAY better than the Windows ME and XP machines that I had for nearly a decade with almost no attention required to keeping them running. I'm not a fan of the Metro interface (I don't think its necessary) but for the light computing we use them for they have been fine.

And truth be told, I basically only use my home Windows machine for recording nowadays. All my web surfing and stuff is done on my phone or tablet (both Samsung Galaxy). That means that I'm not in any hurry to upgrade.

That also explains the Indonesian Microsoft CEO saying Windows 9 would be available for free for Windows 8 users :lol:

XP as an OS was good, but it had so many security holes, haha. And the newer OSes are leaps and bounds better regarding driver installation and CPU/memory management. Not a huge deal when everything was bigger!faster!better! but now that they're going for lower energy usage it makes a difference.

Win8 annoyed the crap out of me until someone pointed me to classic shell. Now it's like Win7 but faster and with a lot of added functionality. I like it

Win8 annoyed the crap out of me until someone pointed me to classic shell. Now it's like Win7 but faster and with a lot of added functionality. I like it

This. All of this.

Windows 8 with Classic Shell has been literally — and I hate when people use that word incorrectly but in this case it's accurate — trouble free. I can't believe I'm saying this but it's a pleasure to use.

This. All of this.

Windows 8 with Classic Shell has been literally — and I hate when people use that word incorrectly but in this case it's accurate — trouble free. I can't believe I'm saying this but it's a pleasure to use.

:embarrassed:mg:

I love that gif...found it appropriate. But I agree...it's been pretty solid even within our organization.

I've been happy with Win 7. I feel like Micro$oft finally got it right with that one. I will skip 8, but I will wait and see how 10 is. Given their track record, 10 should be good since they get it right with every other release.

Back