Will it waffle?

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
My wife wanted a waffle maker for Christmas.

So, being the loving husband that I am...

We had a few waffles.

Today she surprised me with a chicken waffledilla.

Simply, it was some leftover chicken and bell peppers and some cheese stuck between two tortilla shells.

And waffled.

image.jpeg

The best part is that the tortillas get nice and crispy and the pockets hold a nice amount of salsa and things don't get soggy.

image.jpeg

I bought her a book called, "Will it Waffle?"
We've got some things to try.

You know what else waffles real good?

Waffle batter. I love me some waffles, especially yeasted waffles. I have a good recipe that I can dig up, if yer interested.

You know what else waffles real good?

Waffle batter. I love me some waffles, especially yeasted waffles. I have a good recipe that I can dig up, if yer interested.
Interested.

My wife has been using a bit of a cheap recipe for regular waffles.
It's fine but I feel that they could be better.

Interested.

My wife has been using a bit of a cheap recipe for regular waffles.
It's fine but I feel that they could be better.
They're very different (I like them better) than most 'standard' waffle recipes - they tend to be much lighter/more airy, and crispier on the outside. The catch is that you have to mix up the batter the night before (So you do have to plan in advance a bit, but the upside of this is that the next morning when you're all groggy and chugging coffee you just have to heat up the waffle iron and start making them, you don't need to mix or measure anything)

So, the night before you want waffles:

- Melt 1/2 cup butter, add 1.75 cups milk and heat this until it's warm but not too hot (don't wanna kill the yeasties; if it gets too hot let it cool down to comfortably warm before adding it to the dry stuff.

In a big ass bowl (you need room for the batter to rise) mix together (with a spoon or a whisk):
2 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 t yeast
1 t salt
1 T sugar

Then mix in the milk/butter, 2 eggs, and 1-2 t vanilla extract

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge overnight.

The next morning, give it a stir (it should have gotten very bubbly and expanded considerably), heat up the waffle iron and get to it. You tend to need to add a bit less batter to the iron than usual, as it will bubble up a lot when it hits the hot iron.

Back