Gig Spam Wilco tonight! (review to follow)

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
This will be kind of an anniversery celebration, although the real date was Tuesday. Mrs. Roach picks me up downtown after work, and we are going to eat at my current favorite restaurant, a *real* Mexican place called Hugo's. I will have a couple flights of mescal, and maybe some food too (heh heh). They have a really interesting menu:

http://hugosrestaurant.net/menus/2015/Hugos-DINNER-Menu03-15.pdf

Then back downtown to see Wilco. I will not have a chance to change clothes so I will be slightly overdressed for a rock n' roll show. :tongue:

WTF?! I didn't know they were coming here! :mad:
Mrs. T and I even have tomorrow off (going to Gruene, TX).

I just realized I left the tix at home. :tongue:

Fortunately they can be handled electronically on the phone, pretty slick actually. It's just that my inner old man luddite likes printed paper tickets.

Awesome. I have seen them a few times and they never disappoint. I am a little bummed they aren't coming anywhere near DC on this tour.

Well, I can't tell you who the warmup act was because they never said who they are. They fail at rock marketing. A prog/metal act with a castrato/bassist frontman - yeah, very Rushy indeed. In other words, not my thing at all.

But dammit, they played really well. And their songs are interesting and inventive. I enjoyed their set in spite of myself. I wish I could tell you who they were. :grin:

Two guitarists - Dr. Sheldon Cooper on Strat, and Fidel Castro on Les Paul. No, seriously.

Last edited:
Well, I can't tell you who the warmup act was because they never said who they are. They fail at rock marketing. A prog/metal act with a castrato/bassist frontman - yeah, very Rushy indeed. In other words, not my thing at all.

But dammit, they played really well. And their songs are interesting and inventive. I enjoyed their set in spite of myself. I wish I could tell you who they were. :grin:

Two guitarists - Dr. Sheldon Cooper on Strat, and Fidel Castro on Les Paul. No, seriously.
0004363677_10.jpg

Google says Royal Thunder. Look familiar ?

Yeah that looks like them. I almost didn't recognize Fidel without his fatigues on.

Sleep now, finish review later.

Wow you must be getting old..

Forgetting something as important as tickets is the first sign...............

Sleeping so early is the second sign..

Were you awake during the actual concert with all those hot 40's around???

Wilco opened up for Neil Young a couple years ago and I spent the opening act at the bar with a hot 40 year old and two of my daughters...

Look forward to the review over oatmeal and prune juice..............

First off, I owe an apology to Ms. Mlny Parsonz, lead singer/bassist for Royal Thunder, for thinking she was was a high-singing dude. I guess I wanted my Rush comparison to work too bad. :tongue:

And also I need to apologize to Mrs. Roach. Because I teased her for thinking the singer was female after their set. I was wrong. :(

But on to the Wilco...they played a truly fantastic show. It's hard to describe what is so special about how they play - it's just - perfect. They get it all right, but they are never so "rehearsed" sounding that it seems canned or stale.

They really had the audience by the balls, to the extent that it was a major expedition to go to the men's room, you had to work your way through all the people standing around their with their mouths hanging open, or kinda swaying around with silly grins on their faces.

And THERE WAS BANJO. The second encore set was an unplugged deal, it was magic.

And Tweedy is a master of low-key but amusing stage banter. Example: "I saw a python today! Over there in Buffalo Bayou. Yeah, someone lost a python. After we are done here we should all go over there and look for it..."

High points for me were Secret of the Sea and Bob Dylan's 49th Beard. The only low point was Camera, they did the big punk version. I'm partial to the smooth, rhythmic version on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. :grin:

Let me see if this setlist will copy (OK messy but it will have to do for now):

1. Via Chicago I Am Trying to Break Your Heart One Wing Panthers Handshake Drugs Wishful Thinking Art of Almost She's a Jar I'm Always in Love At Least That's What You Said Either Way Bob Dylan's 49th Beard Secret of the Sea Billy Bragg & Wilco cover)
  2. Heavy Metal Drummer Jesus, Etc. Born Alone Impossible Germany Whole Love Passenger Side Forget the Flowers Camera Box Full of Letters Dawned on Me Dark Neon Red-Eyed and Blue I Got You (At the End of the Century) The Thanks I Get Hoodoo Voodoo Billy Bragg & Wilco cover)
  3. A Shot in the Arm

Reactions: Tig
61aa4a8ab2847879a3b7e8259e55fbfc.jpg

32e20bc2dedd8dee278e4cf354631be4.jpg

648b30d9cccd44c51edd3bf4787e4347.jpg

That's a REALLY good set list. Glad you had fun... I've been following their setlists every night and can't wait to see what we have in store in Cinci.

Back