Why sometimes tube screamers work and sometimes they don't.

This:

81S5xWzn6VS._SL1500_.jpg

It still amounts to what sound do you want. All of the combos on the vid are usable and it is up to the player to decide what is the sound that they want.
Yep, pretty much. Seems like you'd be able to tame some of that excessive mid hump on the Lazy J with some tone control adjustment, no?

Yep, pretty much. Seems like you'd be able to tame some of that excessive mid hump on the Lazy J with some tone control adjustment, no?

The mid hump doesn't bother me like it does others. If you play metal, most like that scooped mids sound. It all depends on that sound that you want to achieve since all of it is usable.

The problem with mid humps is that lots of stuff has them. A pickup with a mid hump into a pedal with a mid hump into an amp with a mid hump is just a hump of shitty tone.

The problem with mid humps is that lots of stuff has them. A pickup with a mid hump into a pedal with a mid hump into an amp with a mid hump is just a hump of shitty tone.

Is it truly a shitty tone or is it a sound that you don't care for?

I don't like the sound of fuzz boxes because it is too gritty for me. Does it make it a shitty sound? No - it just doesn't work for me and what I want to hear.

Is it truly a shitty tone or is it a sound that you don't care for?

I don't like the sound of fuzz boxes because it is too gritty for me. Does it make it a shitty sound? No - it just doesn't work for me and what I want to hear.

Sounds like you haven't found the right fuzz box. :grin:

This is at once ind of cool while also being a "well, duh!" kind of thing. You can also adjust your amp and tweak your guitar to account for variables. Cord length is/can be a factor as well (not to mention quality...uh oh, I mentioned it!). The mix of good guitar sound is crazy. It's so much easier with acoustics (until you add electronics :thu:).

The pedal guys are fun, but they're using one sound for each amp. Sometimes it's just one guitar or multiple high variant guitars. An enjoyable watch, but not anything beyond a slight guidepost that one might consider. Guitars can vary so greatly, as can amps and even effects with all things being "equal". Once you start mixing things up, get a great sound can be as much of a crap shoot as getting a truly unusable sound.

The only other thing I'd like with their demos, is if they were more different as players. They have a somewhat homogeneous style that doesn't necessarily reflect the useful/less-ness of a given sound. But I don't mean to sound like a gripey douche bag, as least not with too much of mid-hump.

I've had an Analog man TS-9/808 mod for a solid 10 years. I love it. Works well with my Tweeds, Marshalls and BF/SF Fenders. Can't say I've never bought another amp-like OD...I have one of the v1 Dano Cool Cat Transparent Overdrives, but the TS-9/808 is the only one ever hold the place on my pedalboard.

That said, I had a chance to use it for a few weeks before the mod, it was one of the '90's RI's. It was buzzy, had more gain, and didn't clean up well when turned down. If stock was my only option, i would never have kept it.

Last edited:
I LOVE my keeley ts9dx. years ago when I got it I don't think I ever would have spent that much on an od pedal but I got it randomly in a trade and have been very happy with it. it works great with all my guitars and all my amps. some amps I use it with the gain off and volume maxed as a boost but some I actually use it with gain and it works great like that too.

I am a huge EQD fanboi and got the palisades. I tried them both for quite some time and eventually sold the EQD in favor of the keeley. the palisades is really nice but the keeley to my ears was just a little better.

Back