Why is the BOSS HM-2 going for crazy prices?

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
Who decided to use one and drive them up to $70+? You can buy it's successors, the HM-3 and the MT-2 for $20 all day. What gives?

boss-hm-2-heavy-metal-japan-200906.jpg

Idk... Maybe it has something to do with wren and cuff & dunwich doing their versions of it motivating guys to buy up the originals

The older Boss pedals are ALWAYS better..........kinda like the 70s Fender guitars. Considered mostly POS until the early 2000s when suddenly they became awesome because they were Fender and old.

well the good news is if they get any higher BYOC will do a clone kit of them.
here is a back and forth from BYOC:

any chance of a boss hm-2 clone?

"Maybe. Vintage prices are on the rise. Still not quite worth making a kit yet. According to completed ebay listings, the average price is about $85. Although it appears that people are "asking" a lot more for them lately, so if demand and perceived worth continue to increase, it probably won't be long."

well the good news is if they get any higher BYOC will do a clone kit of them.
here is a back and forth from BYOC:

any chance of a boss hm-2 clone?

"Maybe. Vintage prices are on the rise. Still not quite worth making a kit yet. According to completed ebay listings, the average price is about $85. Although it appears that people are "asking" a lot more for them lately, so if demand and perceived worth continue to increase, it probably won't be long."

but it was a shitty dirt pedal that was replaced by less shitty dirt pedals. why the hype?

but it was a shitty dirt pedal that was replaced by less shitty dirt pedals. why the hype?

The pedals are too damn high!

I think there's a weird bubble happening in the "vintage" pedal market now. Just in the last couple of weeks, I've seen somebody asking $150 for a Russian Big Muff and another guy asking $200 for an 80s Rat because lm308 chip.

I would guess there are a few reasons the HM-2 is going up in price! Being discontinued being one of them. The Shoegaze musicans seem to have takin a liking to it. It was the sound for all those swedish death metal bands in the 90's. It was used at one time by Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Jerry Garcia and Steve Howe. Regardless at the price they are going for now you can still pick one up for less then half of what the Wren and Cuff copy is going for as well as many other boutique dirt pedals that do the same thing. It is also Boss so it should keep working forever. I might just have to pick one up before they go up even more to add to the collection.

Back