Why I'm starting to dig mini pedals more.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Less to fuck with. I have to actually live with a sound and just play music. The Wampler Ego compressor is a good example...two of the controls from the big pedal are now just toggle switches. Where I used to always mess with the attack and tone controls now I don't even think about it. Even the Tube Screamer mini is a reasonably good sounding pedal and two of the controls are small enough that they stay set where you want them and you just have a big drive knob to play with. Same with the Spark Mini:

17620254_10155209070317425_2338685996672871526_o.jpg

Also, the Tumnus is awesome with my Deluxes. I only use the RC Booster occasionally now for the same amount of drive but with a different midrange profile. I couldn't do all of these mini pedals on a large board without the switcher though. I'd miss buttons and kick knobs like crazy.

With a switcher, mini pedals are awesome.

Think I could get away with mini pedals for most everything except modulation and delay, if I wanted to.

I agree. I think it's why I'm also so fond of my Flyrigs. The tiny knobs don't get kicked around (in fact you can press down a little on the knobs and they kinds click into place) but i don't lose any functionality including tap tempo.

I have my full rig with wah, phaser, octaver, spark boost, looper and everything else mounted to a big pedal board, and i have a mini bag with one Flyrig, looper, and mini tuner that's good for practice or open mics.

Less to fuck with. I have to actually live with a sound and just play music. The Wampler Ego compressor is a good example...two of the controls from the big pedal are now just toggle switches. Where I used to always mess with the attack and tone controls now I don't even think about it. Even the Tube Screamer mini is a reasonably good sounding pedal and two of the controls are small enough that they stay set where you want them and you just have a big drive knob to play with. Same with the Spark Mini:

17620254_10155209070317425_2338685996672871526_o.jpg

Also, the Tumnus is awesome with my Deluxes. I only use the RC Booster occasionally now for the same amount of drive but with a different midrange profile. I couldn't do all of these mini pedals on a large board without the switcher though. I'd miss buttons and kick knobs like crazy.
I really like my Tumnus. Easily the best-sounding klone I've ever heard.

I agree. I think it's why I'm also so fond of my Flyrigs. The tiny knobs don't get kicked around (in fact you can press down a little on the knobs and they kinds click into place) but i don't lose any functionality including tap tempo.

I have my full rig with wah, phaser, octaver, spark boost, looper and everything else mounted to a big pedal board, and i have a mini bag with one Flyrig, looper, and mini tuner that's good for practice or open mics.

Funny -- I keep falling in and out of love with my RK5. Sometimes, I think it's the voice of God, and other times. I think part of it is that I had previously mostly used it with a Kustom Defender (EL84) amp, but now I'm mostly playing through a Champ-ish (6V6) amp, so the flavor is a lot different, the the amps seem to react much differently.

if you don't have to stomp on them they are great.

Or if you don't put them at the end of your board. There just isn't enough surface area for them to sit flat when you have a chord going to your guitar or amp.

That board would be half the size, but #WEINSMASH is a real thing.
Yep.

There is room for more stuff if I wanted to share loops for groupings of pedals but what I have works. Everything on there gets used a couple
Of times a night on my cover gig.

Eventually I'll get a timeline and put it in the same loop as the möbius and switch them through midi with the ES-8. I'd like to add a fuzz in there somewhere and I'm out of room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back