"Why Americans Don’t Like Jazz"

When was the last time you heard anything new that was actually worth listening to on a major FM station? The entire mass communication system has changed. No sense judging it by antiquated standards. That's how the War on Music was lost (or won, depending on your point of view).

i don't care if FM radio is dead NOW.....i'm saying that when those bands WERE popular and listened to by many, the vehicle of the day WAS FM radio.
and my main point was that there really isn't any huge jazz players out there commanding the general public's attention.
if there were, maybe jazz would make a resurgence in the public's daily listening pleasure.

i don't care if FM radio is dead NOW.....i'm saying that when those bands WERE popular and listened to by many, the vehicle of the day WAS FM radio.
and my main point was that there really isn't any huge jazz players out there commanding the general public's attention.
if there were, maybe jazz would make a resurgence in the public's daily listening pleasure.

And I'm saying that the phenomenon you're describing is unlikely to recur because the path to airwave supremacy has been erased. It has nothing to do with talent or the quality of the music and everything to do with the decentralization of technology and microcultures.

There's a huge difference between Sun Ra and Benny Goodman, thus mass lumping dumbness enters the picture. For anybody who says they hate jazz I could find something they like. There's lots to choose from between Hoagy Carmichael and the theme music from The Jetsons.

There's a huge difference between Sun Ra and Benny Goodman, thus mass lumping dumbness enters the picture. For anybody who says they hate jazz I could find something they like. There's lots to choose from between Hoagy Carmichael and the theme music from The Jetsons.

I saw Jim Campilongo and Stephan Wrembel on Sunday night in Brooklyn. Two incredible musicians doing very different things. Both are considered jazz. It's a huge umbrella.

Two's pushing it. Three, and you're into jazz!

286_lou.jpg
This is my favorite guitar quote of all time.

And thanks to Howie, I haven't been able to stop listening to this.

Reactions: Tig
Hunter does great things. I have a bunch of his albums and interviewed him. He goes his own way but still brings the jazz. Probably not for Reverend1 though. And that's... ok.

I was just watching Downton Abbey, season 4:

"Is this your first experience with Jazz, Lady Grantham?"

Lady Grantham - "Oh! Is that what it is? Do you think any of them know what the others are playing?" :spit:

I was just watching Downton Abbey, season 4:

"Is this your first experience with Jazz, Lady Grantham?"

Lady Grantham - "Oh! Is that what it is? Do you think any of them know what the others are playing?" :spit:

Jazz is the reason I stopped listening to "progressive rock". After listening to jazz, I realized just how poorly named "progressive rock" is (exception: King Crimson).

Well, 99% of progressive rock hasn't progressed all that much since the '70s, so I'll give you that.

Still, there are some bands that I think would qualify. I just like my 'prog' to be more of the vanilla variety though. I just like what I like :embarrassed:

Well, 99% of progressive rock hasn't progressed all that much since the '70s, so I'll give you that.

Still, there are some bands that I think would qualify. I just like my 'prog' to be more of the vanilla variety though. I just like what I like :embarrassed:

must be an Eagles fan.

The so-called instrumentalist virtuosos spawned by prog are sometimes sore spots for players who can't or won't reach such heights of accomplishment. It's a limiting facet everyone ascribes to (technically speaking) but few work towards. Then add the scores that were produced to a more neo-classical mold and we get the backing away of the more raucous, hard rock preferring players. I preferred a much lighter touch of chord melody and still do. From 19 years old an on drums were grouped on my list along with banjos, harmonicas and other percussive and screechy things I preferred not to listen to. Come to think of it, that's about the time I left the pop music scene completely to concentrate on writing.

I just like my 'prog' to be more of the vanilla variety though. I just like what I like :embarrassed:

Let's here it for "Acceptance of your vanilla self." The cool cutting edge people have their visionary bands and musically out of the box aspirations.

Let's here it for "Acceptance of your vanilla self." The cool cutting edge people have their visionary bands and musically out of the box aspirations.
Vanilla is a perfectly acceptable flavor :)

Case in point, I would like to think that a band like Dillinger Escape Plan would be considered progressive in the real sense of the word. Fantastic musicians, and they certainly play 'outside the box'.

Having said that, I've seen them (DEP) live in concert. I'd rather put wood slivers under my fingernails and light them on fire than see them in concert again :embarrassed:

I'll stick with 'prog' bands like Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Kansas, Big Big Train, and the like.

Back