"Why Americans Don’t Like Jazz"

It's ok to insult the music that people love, but you can't have an opinion about the people and their subpar tastes? We were off a long time ago.

No. This is dumb. The height of mouth breathing idiocy.

YuckyJazz.jpg

lighten up, it's called a joke. If you allow yourself to laugh at one from time to time it might dislodge the stick from your ass.

And perhaps if you weren't so hypersensitive about your lack of intelligence you could listen to something with more than three chords. Lighten up Francis!

Just joking!

I was wondering if this site's members ever actually swore and threw stuff at each other. For a second I thought "Eureka!!". Then I saw it was all over jazz. Never mind. That stuff will turn chaplains into mercenaries.

the article is WAY too long and wander around TOO much. and posted above, i disagree with many of the points.

it starts out maybe ok, about us becoming lazy listeners and jazz is just a bit too much effort (mostly younger listeners......older listeners that grew up with coltrane and davis in the background don't have a problem with jazz).

but then the article descends into a mild rant about how many listeners don't like "abstractions", a eufemism for avante garde free form jazz. yea, i got a problem with that too. i can not disconnect my brain from trying to follow the players, except they are all playing something different and even in different keys, or it seems so.

now, as far as "these days american don't like jazz".....maybe jazz needs to put forward a "Stevie Ray Vaugh". when SRV hit the scene, the blues was in the background. but when Texas Flood hit the airwaves and record stores......the blues were lit on FIRE. and it spun into many many many awesome players getting back to the blues.

jazz needs a superman to bring it back into the forefront for the general population.....IMHO.

there was a time, not too long ago, when some forms of jazz were quite popular. Pat Metheny, Spiro Gyra, Weather Report, Chuck Mangione, and on and on.
they were quite popular and were on the radio FM.

just sayin'

they were quite popular and were on the radio FM.

When was the last time you heard anything new that was actually worth listening to on a major FM station? The entire mass communication system has changed. No sense judging it by antiquated standards. That's how the War on Music was lost (or won, depending on your point of view).

Back