"Why Americans Don’t Like Jazz"

I agree that the article is full of over generalizations. On the other hand, I do think that he makes some valid points. I, too, tend to listen primarily to the music, rather than the lyrics. I have kept that mostly to myself, because many people can't seem to understand that. Suffice to say that I was that little kid that used wooden spoons to drum on oatmeal containers (the cylindrical ones). I hear beats and rhythms, first and foremost, so most of the songs I love, I love because of the rhythm or the melodic line. I agree with him that this is out of step with many people today. Now, is that why Jazz is not more popular? I don't know, and I don't think that the article made a compelling connect. Mostly it was opinion based. I do think that his observation about people's response to abstract art might have merit, and might even carry over to certain types of jazz. But I'm not sure it's fair to carry it to a place where it is the generalized reason for people's reaction to all jazz.

Reactions: Tig
I learned a lot when I studied jazz guitar, but most of all I learned that I enjoy listening to very little of it.

Jazz (Swing) use to be the most popular music in the world. When you could no longer dance to it is when the great unwashed lost interest.

Jazz (Swing) use to be the most popular music in the world. When you could no longer dance to it is when the great unwashed lost interest.

I think there is much to this. When swing metamorphosed into "bebop", "cool" and a dizzying number of progeny, it left its audience and market behind. The music became all about the musicians, with little concern over how the audience could relate to it. I think that the image of Miles Davis turning away from the audience and facing his band is very telling...

I couldn't finish the article. Equal parts potentially valid and crap. The Japanese and Americans are more alike than different as consumers and that includes music. We have far more of it native to our country and while traditional jazz may be marginalized, it helped lay the foundations for blues, R&B, rock/rockabilly, and more. The latter further mingled with folk/bluegrass to get to "country", although country swing bands were most certainly jazz influenced. R&B has debateably become hip hop, rock evolved in many forms, and as covered by others, jazz certainly didn't stand still. While it is not likely to ever regain its former prominence, it is one of the foundation musics of America and it along with it's many descendants has been HUGELY influential to the music of the world.

Overall, however, he misses the fact that we are ever evolving population, human beings that is. While we should embrace and know our history at a far higher level, were are generally forward focused. That said, if someone can bring it back to the fore, some young/hip/appealing new artist that hits the teen through 30s demographic just right, there could be a big resurgence. I doubt it, but you never know.

And that falls on the musicians that were tired of playing pop tunes and wanted to explore the music. Unfortunately a big part of that was about outdoing each other and not necessarily furthering the art form. Coleman Hawkins, Benny Goodman, Lionel Hampton, Lester Young, Armstrong, Christian, and many more showed everyone that you could have your cake and eat it too, but people always want more and musicians are no different.

I personally enjoy jazz very much. One more thing about me that a lot of folks think is un-American. Very unfortunate attitude regarding jazz though, as it is an American innovation that was loved by audiences in Europe, particularly via immediately post war radio. My wife's parents really dug listening to jazz radio in Holland, post war, before they moved to the States in '53. They had a pretty amazing vinyl jazz collection. I think some of it may still be around (and if so, I need to go snag it before it gets thrown away).

PS, I just re-read the article. I disagree with some of what he says, but some is ok. Beyond being stuck on jazz needing lyrics, the key to jazz to me is listening for what is going on with melody. Which instrument(s) is carrying the melody? Does it repeat or vary? How does the melody evolve?

I like the analogy between jazz music and the paintings of Mark Rothko and Monet, with Monet's work being easier to access because although the work of both is abstract, there is more visual image to lock onto in Monet's work. I tend to prefer jazz music that has a bit more melody, than completely abstract work which my mind is not able to find a relationship within.

Whereas some of his points or arguments may be not all that great, his main point that the average listener does not want to listen that hard to music is valid, I personally believe.

I went to college for Fine Arts. When I started experimenting with abstract and surrealistic art, I found an overwhelming number of non-artists would "get" the abstract art if it was anthropomorphic in some way (human elements). A surrealistic version of an animal, plant or object they wouldn't identify with, but if there were eyes or some kind of human form, even if it was radically altered or distorted, the viewers were drawn in.

I think music is much the same way. rhythmic beats or recognizable melodic scales can draw a listener in, even if the sounds themselves break down into N.I.N. machines or dubstep. When the melodies start going into non recognizable jazz patterns or even japanese and indian quarter tones, the resulting sound is more alien to the average listener and less likely to be engaging.

Then again Americans just might be dumber with their love of mid-level chain restaurants and huge portions. They hate classical music too. People who don't respond to Mozart or Gershwin get a big face palm from me. I almost wrote "Different strokes" but I refrained.

Then again Americans just might be dumber with their love of mid-level chain restaurants and huge portions. They hate classical music too. People who don't respond to Mozart or Gershwin get a big face palm from me. I almost wrote "Different strokes" but I refrained.

but most Americans respond to John Williams movie scores.

but most Americans respond to John Williams movie scores.

They perk up when they hear the Indiana Jones theme on TV but they would never attend The Hollywood Bowl to hear a complete concert of all his film scores. As cheesy as it might sound it's pretty great at The Bowl with the film clips and a live orchestra.

I don't think someone not enjoying a certain type of music or art makes them dumb. I do think judging someone's intelligence based on their personal tastes is dumb.

I don't think someone not enjoying a certain type of music or art makes them dumb. I do think judging someone's intelligence based on their personal tastes is dumb.

Some people are smart and some people are not so smart. And some people are always looking for a fight.

Back