Why Am I Drawn Towards Southern Voices???

Love Doc Watson.. I have The Three Pickers cd...Great cd...
Doc's mother and my grandfather on my Dad's side were brother and sister. I only got to meet him a couple times growing up while attending family reunions. But yeah, Doc was Cousin Doc.

It amazes me how southern Mick Jagger can sound.
Elton John can do a passable one too.
When they sing, they talk like reg limeys.

As far as Canadians, yea Levon Helms had it.

Southern accents can vary a great deal. The Texas drawl. The Appalachian twang. The Coastal Smooth Upper Crustian. Just a few off the top of my head, with many variations and blends.

My wife and I both have a syrupy thick southern accent and whenever we travel we gets alot of attention from it,sometimes positive,sometimes negative but its all good.
The Australians LOVED hearing my wife talk and the Germans told me they had never heard someone speak german with an accent like mine .
New Yorkers just assume we are stupid hicks lol

Southern accents can vary a great deal. The Texas drawl. The Appalachian twang. The Coastal Smooth Upper Crustian. Just a few off the top of my head, with many variations and blends.

I don't hear 'The South', in either MJ or EJ

It may be there and I'm simply missing it..

For example...Elton John--I love that tune but I don't hear the blues\south-the sadness

Two of my favorite melodies from Elton are I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues..............And.......Empty Garden..That's where it was evident.........

It's a cosmic gift...Not a sure thing

Last edited:
Ya...But Dude...We're talking about someone on another planet now..

And I get that Neil Young is amazing...I've seen him live and have witnessed the powerful amazing ability of one person to bring so many people together..

Southern voice??

Elaborate.........

Levon Helm was American. The only non-Canadian in The Band.

Ya...But Dude...We're talking about someone on another planet now..

And I get that Neil Young is amazing...I've seen him live and have witnessed the powerful amazing ability of one person to bring so many people together..

Southern voice??

Elaborate.........
I guess that is what I am saying. I do not prefer a southern voice. Not that I dislike southern voices, just not a preference per se.

First time I went down south I was looking forward to the accents. Flew into Bradenton/ Sarasota to pick up a truck full of magic show props. I couldn't find anyone with an accent. In fact I couldn't even find someone who had lived in Florida more than a year. The next night I was on the road and got a hotel in Macon, Ga. It was run by an Indian. He had an accent but not the one I was looking for. Got up the next morning and stopped at a gas station to top up the tanks and the woman in the gas station was an actual southerner. Boy did she have an accent! A couple of times I had to ask her to repeat herself because I couldn't understand her. Then I hit the road and didn't hear another accent the rest of the trip. Last summer I spent a week in Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, and Florida and I don't think I heard one accent the entire time. I imagine they're more prominent in the more rural areas. In the cities and tourist areas there are so many damned yankees that everyone sounds northern. Except for country music the southern accent may be headed for the endangered list.

Back