Why Am I Drawn Towards Southern Voices???

tompetty

Sporting a hammer...
I can produce one myself but I sometimes think it's fake..(until I get going)..

And anyone that wants to talk about the south,(hey, you guys are south).

Some of my favorite singers are from the southern USA, (tompetty-hey-hey)..

Perhaps I got it from my DAD...He always listened to country singers from the USA..

My Dad always was playing USA country music and balked at the celtic stuff that our region was producing..

I felt and still do feel the same way..

Give me Dwight Yoakam any day over any Canadian 'country' singer...

And don't even get me started with southern Australia and Kasey Chambers and the likes..

Looking for insight............Thanks...........

I like all of it except Jennifer Nettles. It's too over the top.

Kelly Pickler is my limit.

Patty Loveless is fantastic.

We in AZ are in the south but we don't have accents. Most singers from the UK don't sing with accents. Many "country" singers have "southern" accents and often VERY exaggerated accents. Seems kinda odd :shrug:

We in AZ are in the south but we don't have accents. Most singers from the UK don't sing with accents. Many "country" singers have "southern" accents and often VERY exaggerated accents. Seems kinda odd :shrug:
My relatives on my dad's side of the family all live down in south-central Indiana, and have a "country" accent without being a "southern" accent, if you know what I mean. Things like Battle Crick instead of Battle Creek, Faaar house, instead of Fire house, etc. etc.

My relatives on my dad's side of the family all live down in south-central Indiana, and have a "country" accent without being a "southern" accent, if you know what I mean. Things like Battle Crick instead of Battle Creek, Faaar house, instead of Fire house, etc. etc.
The technical term is "hick accent." My wife is from east central Illinois (like central Indiana but with taxes). It still causes confusion when she asks for a "pin" and I don't know if she's looking to write something or stick something.

It's lessened over the years, but my accent is slightly a less pronounced version of...

I don't notice it unless I visit New York or Boston and then it's a vowel free for all.

Living down here, you can discern the changes in southern accents as you go from west (northern Louisiana) to east (up into the Virginias). To me, the MS accent is the worst, just a muddy drawl. The most colorful are from the northern AL/GA areas. I don't mind the accents up into VA either.

Way down here on the coast, the southern accent thing isn't really prominent, over in LA it's Cajun/Creole. From here all the way to FL there really isn't any.

A girl with a Carolina accent gets me. Being a New Yorker I think youse guys all talk funny. :)

Last edited:
When I was little we use to go back to Deep Gap North Carolina to visit my grandparents, aunts/uncles, and millions of cousins. They all talked like Jennifer Nettles sings and when I hear her it just takes me back to an awesome place.

I love Jenny Nettles :embarrassed:

Even if it does have Garth from Wayne's world on guitar :lol:

Nope.....Do not care for at all...And I listened to the whole clip. It sounds very close the the celtic sound that my Dad used to balk......That's not even close to southern music to my ears. IE: when I listen to that, I don't think south....

When I was little we use to go back to Deep Gap North Carolina to visit my grandparents, aunts/uncles, and millions of cousins. They all talked like Jennifer Nettles sings and when I hear her it just takes me back to an awesome place.

Deep Gap is a short drive from where I live. :thu:

I guess it's also the style\vibe\feel......

Ya...That's it......The nasal sound...

Love.........Love.............

Back