Who's The A-Hole - Concert Audience Edition

smurfco

Meatus McPrepuce
So last night I took my dad to see David Gilmour at Madison Square Garden. The show was phenomenal, except we had a group of people behind us (three guys, two women, middle-aged and older) that would. Not. Stop. Talking. Loudly! So about four songs into the show ("Wish You Were Here") and they talked all over the outro solo etc.

I've never really done this but I was pissed off and I turned around and very curtly said "You know, you don't have to say every thought that pops into your head out loud." One guy said "what?" and I repeated it. Then I turned back around and heard them muttering "jerk", "asshole", "that was so fucking rude". But they quieted down. I felt kind of bad though, a simple "could you guys keep it down" would probably have sufficed. So a few songs later I apologized and they apologized back.

But - eventual apologies notwithstanding - who's the a-hole here? Them for talking, me for saying something so rude, or was everyone just an a-hole?

I felt kind of bad though, a simple "could you guys keep it down" would probably have sufficed. So a few songs later I apologized and they apologized back.

But - eventual apologies notwithstanding - who's the a-hole here? Them for talking, me for saying something so rude, or was everyone just an a-hole?

They were the assholes, and you handled it perfectly.

When I go to concerts I have to tell the jackholes in front of me to put their freakin cell phones away. It never fails...as soon as the band starts playing everyone gets out their cell phone and holds it high in the air to start snapping pictures or record. I'm vertically challenged so I can't see over that shit and man do people get pissed when I tell them to have a little respect for the person behind them. I don't care though, I paid good money so I should at least be able to see. Don't feel bad for telling people to shut up.

Man people these days have no idea how to act in public. The talkers and cell phone users are prime examples. :mad:

That's one thing I love about Alamo theaters down here, before the movie starts they really lay it on thick about not having phones out or talking during the movie. They have actors do little PSAs about it that are often hilarious.

I was at a concert with my wife and there was a group of women behind us that talked the entire time.

Because we were of to the left of center, I had to turn my head slightly to view the stage. That put my right ear in a direct path with the voice of one of the women. I lost some hearing in that ear for a while.
We were about 5 rows from the stage and had a stack of speakers in front of us. Yet, it was that voice that did me in.

At one point I looked over at her and then stuck my finger in my ear. They quieted down a bit, but didn't stop talking.

Some people in their row left early and everyone shifted toward the center. That helped, but they still didn't shut up.

Man people these days have no idea how to act in public. The talkers and cell phone users are prime examples. :mad:

That's one thing I love about Alamo theaters down here, before the movie starts they really lay it on thick about not having phones out or talking during the movie. They have actors do little PSAs about it that are often hilarious.
I love the Alamo theatres too. It's the one place where they call out the assholes for you. I've stopped going to rock concerts with my wife because of rude behavior.

Most concerts I go to are so fucking loud,the band\people singing,etc,that you can't hear the person next to you if they're talking..

But in a setting where it's quiet and people are actually listening then why people would talk and not listen boggles my mind. If you're not gonna listen then why even go?

Anyway,I has envy. Rog and Dave are on my bucket list...You're a good son...

So last night I took my dad to see David Gilmour at Madison Square Garden. The show was phenomenal, except we had a group of people behind us (three guys, two women, middle-aged and older) that would. Not. Stop. Talking. Loudly! So about four songs into the show ("Wish You Were Here") and they talked all over the outro solo etc.

I've never really done this but I was pissed off and I turned around and very curtly said "You know, you don't have to say every thought that pops into your head out loud." One guy said "what?" and I repeated it. Then I turned back around and heard them muttering "jerk", "asshole", "that was so fucking rude". But they quieted down. I felt kind of bad though, a simple "could you guys keep it down" would probably have sufficed. So a few songs later I apologized and they apologized back.

They were the a'hos.

I think you were both assholes, them for talking and you for not saying something sooner.

These are the lamest concert hassles ever. I've had people try and hand their passed out friend to me to deal with. I've been caught up in fist fights and inappropriate mosh pits/slam dancing. People throwing drinks. People pushing and shoving. People puking on/near my shoes/person. Violent security guys. The drummer from Weezer stepped on my hand. Serious business.

Ha! It was the fourth song.

I'm surprised your sarcasm meter didn't go off. I'm surprised you made it that long. I'd have given them one song but would've had to say something during the second.

I don't think what you said was especially rude, given the context, but I find saying something sooner rather than later keeps me from sounding more like an asshole.

You both were assholes. Them for talking and you for being a jerk while addressing the issue. You know you were out of line or you wouldn't be here seeking justification.

Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them.
230.jpg
4353.jpg

Mark and OGG could open a business to "remind" assholes to be considerate. :grin:

You both were assholes. Them for talking and you for being a jerk while addressing the issue. You know you were out of line or you wouldn't be here seeking justification.
I know I was out of line; hence my apology a few songs later. Not here seeking justification, just opinions / "what would you have done".

They were the assholes. Probably just had a few too many and weren't paying attention, but it's a problem that I deal with at almost every show now.

I know I was out of line; hence my apology a few songs later. Not here seeking justification, just opinions / "what would you have done".

Three guys? One kicked in the balls as hard as I could...so he's down for the evening. Another knuckle punch to the throat...he'll spend the rest of night trying to get enough oxygen to keep from passing out. The third, gut shot, wrist grab w/ a twist to break his right arm (law of averages has him being a righty), pin him on his back (on top of his left arm) and them drop a deuce on his face.

Sure, I'd get kicked out of the show and spend some time in jail, but it'll shut those fuckers up for everyone else and for every other show they go to. Except for the wirmins, they gonna scream like crazy...hence me getting kicked out of the show and arrested.:thu:

Back