Who's Gonna Watch PBS Tonight....?

it's the beginning of the Ken Burns' film Vietnam.
tonight thru thursday night, from 8pm to 9:30pm.

i'ma be glued to the tv.

Last edited:
While I did not serve, I remember those times all too well. I actually had some bad reactions just reliving those days in a history class 20 years ago. I may eventually watch it, but not right now.

I will watch eventually...when I can choose when I watch it. I have watched countless hours of Vietnam stuff back in the day and fairly recently. In the '80s you could still watch lots of footage on late night tv which was shot by cameramen who traveled with platoons over there. There was a lot of uneventful footage but some incredible stuff too.

Strange how our movies got more violent but the nature of real stuff that can be shown has become so buffered.

I have watched the Ken Burns series The Civil War at least three times... yeah the ten part one or however long it is. I will definitely watch it again.

Me
giphy.gif

I will watch eventually...when I can choose when I watch it. I have watched countless hours of Vietnam stuff back in the day and fairly recently. In the '80s you could still watch lots of footage on late night tv which was shot by cameramen who traveled with platoons over there. There was a lot of uneventful footage but some incredible stuff too.

Strange how our movies got more violent but the nature of real stuff that can be shown has become so buffered.

I have watched the Ken Burns series The Civil War at least three times... yeah the ten part one or however long it is. I will definitely watch it again.
i'm pretty sure Ken's version is going to miles better than the stuff that's been put out before. he digs out every detail and event and generally does not put any kind of 'spin' on it.

i'm pretty sure Ken's version is going to miles better than the stuff that's been put out before. he digs out every detail and event and generally does not put any kind of 'spin' on it.

Everything I've seen from Ken Burns has a skewed perspective. I expect this one to be no different.

wow.....there was a lot of convoluted shit going on behind the scenes. and LOTS of misreads.
what a clusterfuck. and we haven't even got to the dealey plaza event yet.

Dang it! I meant to set the DVR to record it. Oh well, there will probably be re-broadcasts, and/or the internet. How has it been so far?

Dang it! I meant to set the DVR to record it. Oh well, there will probably be re-broadcasts, and/or the internet. How has it been so far?
last night got us thru fall of 1963 and the diem coup and murder, but not to november 22nd. so JFK is still prez, until tonight.

wow.....there was a lot of convoluted shit going on behind the scenes. and LOTS of misreads.

No shit. Kennedy is painted as incredibly weak. Propping up Diem and Nhu was bad enough, but absentmindedly signing off on a coup was astonishingly stupid.

There were so many opportunities to pull out before things got out of hand, but every single person they interviewed will tell you they solemnly and earnestly bought the domino crap.

Great series so far.

No shit. Kennedy is painted as incredibly weak. Propping up Diem and Nhu was bad enough, but absentmindedly signing off on a coup was astonishingly stupid.

There were so many opportunities to pull out before things got out of hand, but every single person they interviewed will tell you they solemnly and earnestly bought the domino crap.

Great series so far.

one of the worst players in that whole deal was McNamara. that bean counting assclown kept insisting that his 'charts' showed it was winnable....and he kept saying that shit until 1968, when he left the admin.

Back