Who you think is a "Musical Genius"...and why...

If he wasn't a genius, he was a time traveler that went to the 80s and stole everybody's sound.

If he wasn't a genius, he was a time traveler that went to the 80s and stole everybody's sound.

He also had the death flat.
It wasn't as good as the one this guy owned.
images.jpg

H H Holmes . I worked with a cousin of this freak job.

Last edited:
I think we've successfully moved away from the subject of geniuses. But that's the problem, there isn't an empirical test for musical genius. We just call people we absolutely like the most geniuses.

I think we've successfully moved away from the subject of geniuses. But that's the problem, there isn't an empirical test for musical genius. We just call people we absolutely like the most geniuses.

Which is why I substantiated on my choices.

I've been listening to a lot of Tom Petty the past few weeks and was having a think last night - he might not have the chops of someone like Gilmour or Knopfler but is there any guitarist out there who can touch Mike Campbell for getting THE EXACT tone, feel and notes that is perfect for everything he's played on?

I honestly can't think of a single Campbell part on a TP tune that could be improved upon and that to me marks him out as a genius too.

Paul McCartney was a genius, I'm not sure if he is anymore.

That's par for the course. Regardless of area, most people that have been categorized as "genius" rarely maintain output commensurate with the designation throughout their lives. You're lucky to have one earthshaking/shaping idea, let alone a few. Then sustaining that output for anywhere near a decade, exceedingly rare. Beyond that, the rarest, if it's ever happened.

I've heard discussions that suggest folks that seem to sustain "genius" are often aware of the finite well are likely piecemeal-ing their ideas instead of hitting everyone over the head with everything. This isn't necessarily something I agree, but it has been discussed. Many of the greats in myriad areas of knowledge in expertise, however, do coast (sometimes for entire careers) on their initial works/discoveries. There is nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned, as long as it's not some genocidal act. Even then, wiping out the deplorables might warrant long standing praise and respect...:thu:

@Dogsinotpalc
the sustained part is why i nominated Carole King. her first hit was the Shirelles "will you still love me tomorrow" in 1960. and then proceeded to score hits and awards thru 2014. plus she has a Gershwin, and is in the Kennedy Center and all of the following.
spanning 4 decades, i'd call that musical genius.

Grammy
Year Nominee/work Award Result
1972 Tapestry Album of the Year Won
"It's Too Late" Record of the Year Won
"You've Got A Friend" Song of the Year Won
"Tapestry" Best Female Pop Vocal Performance Won
1975 "Jazzman" Nominated
1976 Really Rosie Best Album for Children Nominated
1993 "Now and Forever" Best Song Written Specifically for a Motion Picture or Television Nominated
1998 Tapestry Grammy Hall of Fame Inducted
2002 "You've Got a Friend" Inducted
2002 "It's Too Late" Inducted
2004 Carole King Grammy Trustees Award Honored
2013 Lifetime Achievement Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award Honored
A Holiday Carole Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album Nominated
2014 Carole King MusiCares Person of the Year Honored

Back