Who you think is a "Musical Genius"...and why...

There is literally a shit ton of them, but I'll give one that might not be the first choice for everyone

Ravel

Take a few minutes to check out his piano stuff.

Bob Marley.

He helped create, define, and refine an entire genre of music. When most (if not all) people think of reggae, he's the first person that comes top mind. I cannot think of another genre that has such a singular figure that people agree upon. Classical, jazz, blues, rock, country, folk, etc. ...so many eras, sub genres, off-shoots, and varieties, but few undisputed faces/leaders.

He never shied from singing about his beliefs, especially political beliefs. Despite his association with pot in the U.S., he is the music of revolution throughout much of world. Who else can say that? Maybe a handful of other artists/bands, if any. Bob Marley is music, poetry, politics, revolution, evolution, and more. His music moves listeners in so many different ways. A true artist. A true genius.

I'm tired...me go sleepy now.

Bob Marley.

He helped create, define, and refine an entire genre of music. When most (if not all) people think of reggae, he's the first person that comes top mind. I cannot think of another genre that has such a singular figure that people agree upon. Classical, jazz, blues, rock, country, folk, etc. ...so many eras, sub genres, off-shoots, and varieties, but few undisputed faces/leaders.

He never shied from singing about his beliefs, especially political beliefs. Despite his association with pot in the U.S., he is the music of revolution throughout much of world. Who else can say that? Maybe a handful of other artists/bands, if any. Bob Marley is music, poetry, politics, revolution, evolution, and more. His music moves listeners in so many different ways. A true artist. A true genius.

I'm tired...me go sleepy now.
But it's reggae. It all sounds the same

I don't do the weed.

Beethoven

Anyone who is deaf, still composes what he did and can correctly sense which musician within an orchestra is fucking up is a genius.

Oh, and even in death he delivers a mean ass rap battle. :grin:

Last edited:
Angus Young

Because he can wear shorts every time on stage and still draw a huge crowd who all have a great time no matter which show that they go to.

on a serious note I'll go with Mark e. Smith

if being true to your art, being original, inventive, and continualy creative and evolving ...probably idiosyncratic as well and by way of all that "inventing a new musical language" ...a (fill in the blank name of band) "sound" then Mark e. Smith fits the bill. There is NOTHING else that sounds remotely close to "Fall music"

on a serious note I'll go with Mark e. Smith

if being true to your art, being original, inventive, and continualy creative and evolving ...probably idiosyncratic as well and by way of all that "inventing a new musical language" ...a (fill in the blank name of band) "sound" then Mark e. Smith fits the bill. There is NOTHING else that sounds remotely close to "Fall music"

That sounds like he lifted taht from this

Chad Kroeger, because ....welll.......

red-card.jpg

Because Chad Kroger post.

DdBob to the Sin Bin!

Monk, Miles, Coltrane, Bird, Sun Ra, those kind of guys I consider pure musical geniuses.
When you consider lyrics, I'll go with The Boss, Robert Hunter, John Prine, as my top 3.

Ray Davies - best British songwriter ever imo

Bowie because he did so many great things in so many different ways - I won't use the words genres because it's not the same thing but he wrote scores of different types of tunes that are timeless - Space Oddity, 5 Years, Ziggy Stardust, Lady Stardust, Heroes, Jean Genie, Rebel Rebel and I could go well on. Incredible.

I think in many ways Pink Floyd as a collective too - Waters wrote the stuff but without Gilmour and Mason in particular, I don't think the music would have been the same.

Limiting to popular categories of music:

Frank Zappa...not something I can listen to all the time but when I want to be challenged Frank is my go to...

Johnny Cash...dragged Country&Western out of the "Western Swing" era and made it darker, more serious, and more mature...

Back