Who,Here Has Seen An Owl In The Wild??

tompetty

Sporting a hammer...
As a young person I did a ton of hunting,and fishing,with my Dad..

Seen many animals in the wild that most never get to witness...

I've only seen one owl in the wild...I walked towards it and my Dad told me to leave it alone because he thought it was injured...And also it could probably rip my face off...

I've seen foxes having sex and a snake that was swallowing a bullfrog so big that it caught my breath.....Much other stuff...

I know there are a few people here that like to hike..

Anyone ever seen an owl in the wild???

I've seen a few. The most memorable was a Guatemalan screech owl that was stalking my wife and I during a late night hike in Costa Rica. I managed to get out my flash and snap a photo.

74ac56a64f2f9bf1bad74216d78f76cb.jpg

We hear them all the time in my neighborhood, but I haven't seen one for a year or two.

Every once in a while we'll see one around here. It's not a regular occurrence, though.

If my neighbourhood park counts as wild then yes, that was the most recent time. It flew (silently) overhead and I happened to look up at the right time. When I was a kid living in the country I used to see them occasionally.

I've never seen foxes having sex...I have seen Octopi doing the deed though. And been shadowed by coyotes while riding up a steep hill (and making me a bit nervous)

nice picture Jaxn :thu:

Very cool...I live in a colder climate......
Owls are nocturnal of course...

It's always been my understanding that an owl,like many other birds,will avoid people at all cost..

The fact that one is chasing you guys is remarkable......

I've seen a few owls in the wild. Which is kind of odd, because they're supposedly common. Yet I've seen dozens of bald eagles over the years.

I've seen a few owls in the wild. Which is kind of odd, because they're supposedly common. Yet I've seen dozens of bald eagles over the years.
We have a spot here called Annapolis Valley...The American Bald Eagles are there all the time......

I've seen them. They're rare, but I have seen a few in my lifetime.
They're bigger than you think.

I hear them all the time.....but they're pretty hard to find.

For every one time I have seen an owl, I have seen a hundred bald eagles. They're really not that rare anymore (which is a good thing).

When we first moved into the new house here, we had an "attached" pair of skunks come right up the house....

They, fortunately have disappeared back into the wild somewhere.
We see fox, coyote, bear, porcupine, deer, raccoons, skunks, all the time. Very common up here. (The bears we see rarely, but they're for sure around....)
Every once in awhile we come across a moose. But I have never seen a "bull" moose in full antler before. (Which may or may not be a good thing....)

When I lived at the lakehouse, I used to see mink all the time. And I swear I saw an otter once. That was really cool.

I really want to see a fisher cat. They're around, but I have never seen one alive (saw a dead one on the side of the road once, but that doesn't really count, now does it?) The Fisher Cat is the only animal in North America that can chase down and catch a squirrel in a tree and kill it. True. That's one fast fucking animal!

Last edited:
I've seen a few, but heard many, many more. Mostly when I've seen them, it's because some crows are harassing them -- driving them from their daytime perch.

Sure, I've seen more than a few when I was a kid in NH. They were pretty common inhabitants of barn lofts. We had several species, with the most common being the barred owl. I even saw a great horned owl once. Damn thing was huge. We also had a lot of really small owls, maybe the size of a pigeon, but I can't remember the species. We called them Saw owls.

I've met a few of those in the woods. They have such a pissy disposition that they make badgers look like a teddy bear. I once got chased about 50 yards through the woods by a big fisher cat. I recall it was the biggest I have ever seen, but I suspect the fact that it was angrily chasing me led to some overestimation.

Yeah, one of those "I'd love to see one, but if I ran into one in the woods, I would feel a lot more comfortable with a .38 with me." :lol:

I've seen them. They're rare, but I have seen a few in my lifetime.
They're bigger than you think.

I hear them all the time.....but they're pretty hard to find.

For every one time I have seen an owl, I have seen a hundred bald eagles. They're really not that rare anymore (which is a good thing).

When we first moved into the new house here, we had an "attached" pair of skunks come right up the house....

They, fortunately have disappeared back into the wild somewhere.
We see fox, coyote, bear, porcupine, deer, raccoons, skunks, all the time. Very common up here. (The bears we see rarely, but they're for sure around....)
Every once in awhile we come across a moose. But I have never seen a "bull" moose in full antler before. (Which may or may not be a good thing....)

When I lived at the lakehouse, I used to see mink all the time. And I swear I saw an otter once. That was really cool.

I really want to see a fisher cat. They're around, but I have never seen one alive (saw a dead one on the side of the road once, but that doesn't really count, now does it?) The Fisher Cat is the only animal in North America that can chase down and catch a squirrel in a tree and kill it. True. That's one fast fucking animal!
Very cool......What you are talking about is one major thing that I so miss about living rural...

Man oh man...The fisher.....Rare...

I`m a huge fan of weasels/cats,etc....

I killed one about 5 years ago.......I ran over it....I turned around and sure enough it was dead....

Broke my heart...........

Most people are afraid of things like bears(Another story),but the little dudes with attitude can back down a bear on most days....Funny really......

Lucky, fishers are not big enough to be very dangerous. They are maybe 3-4 feet long with the tail, and maybe weight as much as a big house cat. Think of a fat, 4 foot long ferret with big fangs. I've heard they are pretty territorial and will chase other animals away, which probably explains their attitude towards humans. I should say that although I was chased once, the other few times I have seen fishers were quick sightings when they took off so fast I wasn't really sure what it was until after they were gone.

Seen barn owls a few times when driving at night on country roads. Not a common sight by any means.

Very cool......What you are talking about is one major thing that I so miss about living rural...

Man oh man...The fisher.....Rare...

I`m a huge fan of weasels/cats,etc....

I killed one about 5 years ago.......I ran over it....I turned around and sure enough it was dead....

Broke my heart...........

Most people are afraid of things like bears(Another story),but the little dudes with attitude can back down a bear on most days....Funny really......

Bears (well, black bears anyway) are really fucking lazy animals. That's why they're always getting into garbage and such. Too much work to look for food when they can go tip over a big plastic food barrel full of week old garbage juice. Yummy.

Anyway, we have quite a few different "weasel" species up here....I have seen most. But not the fisher cat. I know they're around.....but haven't run across one yet. Yet.
My daughter saw a Lynx a few winters ago on a rural road on the NH/Maine border. (http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroom/News_2011/news_2011_Q4/lynx_documented_120911.html)
There are rumors of wolves, but I have never seen one.
There are also rumors of Mountain Lions (my new neighbor claims to have seen one about 6 or 8 years ago on the property I now live on, and he said "NO, it wasn't a BobCat or a housecat")
There are even the odd rumors/sighting claims (though Fish and Game always deny it) of Wolverines. There was one last year near where we lived by the lake. It was an old guy who knew his shit......so.....you kind of have to go with it, you know?

We're pretty far out here, for sure.

The mountain lion has been a debate for a long time. I remember when they were made an endangered species in the 70's in NH. There hadn't been a confirmed kill since the late 1880's, so Fish and Game looked for a long time and finally decided they were extinct not too long ago. Despite their extinct status, people seem to spot them from time to time. Hunters, hikers, snowmobilers, skiers, lumberjacks and other types who spend a lot of time in the woods and know what a bobcat and a lynx looks like see them. Probably dozens of reported sightings a year, and probably more unreported. I also remember reports of sightings along the highway and stuff by more 'city' type people being a pretty common thing on the local news. Despite being extinct, the recent advent of digital trail cameras used by hunters have spotted a few in recent years.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120821/NEWHAMPSHIRE03/708219874&template=mobileart

Fish and Game thinks these might be long range migrators looking for new territory and not representative of a stable breeding population, but who really knows.

Back