Who am I and what have I done with myself?

PunkKitty

Horny bag of electric meat
I'm not sure what's happening. Over the last several months, I've been selling more guitars than I have been buying. I'm down to 11 guitars and 7 basses. That's from 20 something guitars and 11 basses. Some of the basses are specialty instruments like a 5 string and a fretless. Those are staying. But the others are Jazz and precision types. I'm thinking of selling 2 Teles, a Strat, and my P pass this week. I don't need the money. I'm just coming to terms with what I really play and shedding the rest. And of course, having the cash won't hurt. I can always replace guitars later if I want to. But I'm not sure I want to. I feel like I have enough. It's weird. Maybe I'm finally growing up.

My plan has proven itself effective. I hung onto many of my 2nd tier instruments, even though I wasn't using them. Letting the boy bash away on my Dano while I'm playing it is no issue. I can't say the same for my Taylor. So while it sucks that the Taylor & Ric sit in their cases in favor of my Dano and a couple of Ibanez, they won't get damaged by an enthusiastic mini-me either.

I think I'm just getting to the point where I'd rather have a few really good guitars than a bunch of mediocre guitars.

I started down that road a couple of years ago and have now got to the point where I have only one 'imported' guitar (mim tele), unless you count the Godin.

I went from 10 to 3, all of which are cheapos.

Not by choice though. :(

LOL I, too, have gone down the minimizing road - quality over quantity. That doesn't mean I don't get excited at seeing something new. I just have to tell myself, "Down boy!" Right now, I'm jonesing for a better quality 12-string. I just have to tell myself that now isn't the right time, and there will be other 12-strings down the road. I hate it when I get all mature on myself! :gah:

I'm discovering how much more satisfying it is for me to build a guitar exactly the way I want it than it is to buy one off the rack and then do extensive mods to it and still find things you want to change...once I sell off my Edwards and my MiM Strat I will have more self-built instruments than store bought...

I've got about a dozen around. I've got a grand son and another grandchild on the way so I'm keeping them so I can give them away over the years.

I average 12-13 instruments. About half of those are guitars I'll never sell for sentimental reasons. Some of the cheapies I own for specific purposes. Some day I'll own a Collings semi hollow or archtop but thats in the future.

I had to look at what I had, what I played and what was sentimental. After doing that I sold off what wasn't needed. I certainly didn't need so many guitars just to have. I'm comfortable with the amount I currently have. What I need to flip now are some amps.

never had a huge collection but I've been down to 2 g&ls, a duesenburg and a mid level takamine and even they don't get much play time.

I always tended to opt for the one of each strategy. 1 strat, 1 tele, 1 les paul, 1 hollowbody, 1 lap steel, 4 dreadnoughts.

Wait, one of those is not like the other.

Back