WHITE ELEPHANT RECORDINGFEST REVEAL!!!!!!

^^ I thought you had mixed the song up with Roxanne for a minute. :) Listening now, sounding pretty rad dude.

Rev1 - As OGG said: The Rev, covering the Rev with a Rev. What did you play through (amp, pedals) for the rhythm track? Sounds really cool, nice one man.

THanks, I use my Sixgun in the bridge position with a Mojo Hand Mule, into the Marshall model on Garage Band.

THanks, I use my Sixgun in the bridge position with a Mojo Hand Mule, into the Marshall model on Garage Band.

Which I tweaked by using a different Marshall model and a little fuzz. :grin:

Sent from my iPhone at a Tijuana donkey show.

I all the ones that were submitted yesterday morning downloaded and have listened to them all in the car. All are really good. I've especially enjoyed The Final Countdown and When Doves Cry.

I'll get ASB and Dexter's downloaded today and listen in the car on the way home. I need to actually sit down at home and listen to NoQuarter's video though.

Okay, I got Dexter's. ASB's link is firewalled for me, so I'll have to get it from home as well.

ASB - Are those programmed drums or real? Sound bang on either way. You've got some mad guitar tones, really huge sounding. Is that a guitar after the breakdown (from about the 3:16 mark)? I LOVE that.

Yeah - programmed and I wish I could take full credit for them because whoever did the fills did an amazing job but my own drum machine is either missing or I stupidly left it at the last venue I used it at because I've turned the house upside down and can't find the darned thing. It couldn't have just vanished could it?

I can't believe I can't find it so I had to use the track on a backing track version of that song so I just added bass and guitars.

Guitars was my black roland ready strat in dropped d tuning thru the Mesa Boogie studio preamp using the neck pickup for the verses and bridge for the choruses.
There might be a little reverb on the guitars but not too much.
Standard single coil pickups too.

I didn't use my Rogue six string bass for bass, it's just the VG-99 model of a Fender Jazz with no effects. That thing towards the end that sounds like a synthethesizer is using clean guitar thru modulation, delay and chorus and it sounds like a synth but it's just a guitar.

Then everything else is Kate and I set up four tracks of her voice all slightly different with different bouncing echoes to give it a kind of dreamy feel.

There's a couple things I'd have changed to it if it was going out on a record something but now but it's done and was fun to do.

In retrospect I should have called in a favor from my friend Pat and had him play real kit drums on it and Kate was hoping my friend Will could have done the vocals on it but I like her singing so no problem!

Update: spinning all of the tracks here at work, I hit the hay and was asleep before I hit the pillow yesterday.

Last edited:
Dexter - Come as you are

Dex brought the :rawk:

Sheesh - I was expecting something different and in comes a rock version of "One" from Three Dog Night and then it veers into METAL. Dude I haven't headbanged in years until now :rawk:

ASB - Everlong

Great job bro! The drums on that freaked me out as I too was thinking that they were real. The programming is fantastic and helped to bring that piece to life. I am not a fan of the FF and never was a fan of the song either but what you did with your wife - sheesh I am a fan of both of you :thu:

OGG - The distorted guitar after the intro is fucking killer, uber-cool. Actually, I'm listening as I'm typing, everything is killer. Is that the E-mu or TR-707? I have samples of both machines, I may have to load them into my drum VST and use them soon. :)

Thanks, the guitar parts were all done with a Digitech RP350, out of all of the multi fx units, rack mounts and pedal combo's that POS was the only one that could get that sound accurately enough. go figure. No amp, just direct into the interface. The intro riff and the outro solo's had zero post production added to them (aside from the fade out), but I did apply some post fx to the guitar parts I added to the choruses.

As for the drum tracks. Ahhh... This is where everything went horribly sideways. That main loop is actually a combination of a Drumulator and a Linn 9000. I ditched the 707 early on, in fact, I must have made at least 15 different versions of that loop with samples from pretty much every drum machine that existed in the 80's. I was very happy with the one I ended up using, until the first mix down, when I found it to be way too bass heavy. after dicking with the eq for hours, I could not seem to find a middle ground between bass heavy and tin-can shrill. It was killing me. Never had a problem like this before, I finally decided to let it go in it's nuetered state. I had a similar problem with the second drum track (Snare and kick), same deal, it was either absurdly bass heavy or totally lifeless. through all of this, EZ Drummer was being an ungracious douchebag and doing it's damnedest to spoil my fun. I'm beta testing a new DAW that clearly has some issues with EQ implementation and EZ Drummer compatibility. Literally, at the last minute, I slapped together a new snare and kick track using just a key controller and the stock EZD kit. It sounds awful, but I needed something there.

I did record the entire song, as in... it goes on for another two minutes after where I faded the submission version out. it has all of the weird little flurry synths and what not. Synths: Juno 60, Jupiter 8, JX3P, Korg M1 and a VSTi String synth.

The spacey intro is an Ovation Acoustic/Electric and the Korg M1 ran through more filters than you can imagine :grin:

When I have a little more time, I'm going to re-attack the mix and I'll provide a link to the full version. I also need to get rid of the annoying esses and plosives on the vocal tracks, that I forgot to do before applying compression and fx :facepalm:

Side note: Phil mentioned "attention to detail" ... You see, I suffer from both OCD and ADD (I know right?) in other words, I'm a perfectionist with a short attention span (read: recipe for disaster) . I mapped the original Prince album version at 126.454 BPM and placed it in a track and then built the song around it before dropping it out. If you're nerdy enough, you could put the Prince version and mine on a single stereo track with one hard right and the other hard left and they would be perfectly synched from beginning to end :grin: I'm such a dork.

Thanks for all the Kind words about mine. I wasn't really happy with mine for a while. I originally recorded the ballad alone with the Intro from the other, but had it a 110 BPM which was WAYYYYYYYY tooooooooooooo Slooowwwww and Lazzzzzzzzzzyyyyyy, after a while It got too boring to hear time and again. So then I recorded the other and didn't like the vocals. [side note: I was surprised that my "shredder hot" guitar got that jangle sound so well on the Between setting with the untapped buckers] Went back to the ballad and recorded the guitars again at 125 BPM and was Okay with it. Judging from the responses I guess I was on the right track.

So now you know what it sounds like If Knox decides he wants to make a song that sounds like a Fabric Softener commercial. :)

Your's are all sounding good, some better than others, but it's not a contest. Reviews later. Have to enjoy my day off.

FWIW, here's my basic rig rundown.

Drums: Played them on an Alesis DM8Pro kit triggering EZ Drummer with the metal expansion pack.

Bass: Fender Jazz direct with some amp modeling plugin and EQ and compression.

First clean guitar: Orange Warmoth on neck pickup into VHT Pittbull on the green channel with the gain turned way down and the volume turned way up into my homemade 212 cab with a V30 and a G12H30 speaker. I don't remember which I mic'd (with an SM57). A little EQ, reverb and compression added in post.

Second clean guitar: Orange Warmoth on the middle/neck position into Weber 5E7M into same 212 cab above. Again, EQ, reverb and compression added in post.

First dirty guitar: Orange Warmoth on bridge humbucker into Classic 30 and extension cab with G12H30 mic'd. EQ, reverb and compression added in post.

Second dirty guitar: This is just to add a little more grit to the prechorus and chorus sections. Orange Warmoth, bridge pickup, VHT Pittbull on red channel with gain most of the way up into same 212 above. EQ, reverb and compression added in post.

Main lead guitars: Orange Warmoth, bridge pickup, VHT Pittbull Red channel, gain up, same 212. EQ, reverb, compression and a little delay added in post.

There is one note at the end of each chorus that is a harmony guitar bend. I used SVH's new EVH Wolfgang into his Marshall Class 5 for that...mic'd with the SM57.

Synth: This is just a stock instrument plugin that came with Pro Tools. I think it's called 'Vacuum' and I used an electric guitar preset. I triggered it with a cheap Casio keyboard.

Vocals were done with an AKG C4000B and I did one lead vocal track and about 5 harmony tracks. I bussed the harmony tracks and ran a single compressor for all. There's also some slapback delay and reverb on all vocal tracks.

Then I ran the main mix through the Waves Ultramaximizer.

My rig run downs have proven to be less than spectacular and boring as F__ .

All cheap guitars recorded directly into the mic input of OEM soundcard via converter plug and through cheap ass pedals.

The strings and orchestral instruments were programmed into the midi interface and run into the VSTi that comes with Samplitude.

Thanks, the guitar parts were all done with a Digitech RP350, out of all of the multi fx units, rack mounts and pedal combo's that POS was the only one that could get that sound accurately enough. go figure. No amp, just direct into the interface. The intro riff and the outro solo's had zero post production added to them (aside from the fade out), but I did apply some post fx to the guitar parts I added to the choruses.

As for the drum tracks. Ahhh... This is where everything went horribly sideways. That main loop is actually a combination of a Drumulator and a Linn 9000. I ditched the 707 early on, in fact, I must have made at least 15 different versions of that loop with samples from pretty much every drum machine that existed in the 80's. I was very happy with the one I ended up using, until the first mix down, when I found it to be way too bass heavy. after dicking with the eq for hours, I could not seem to find a middle ground between bass heavy and tin-can shrill. It was killing me. Never had a problem like this before, I finally decided to let it go in it's nuetered state. I had a similar problem with the second drum track (Snare and kick), same deal, it was either absurdly bass heavy or totally lifeless. through all of this, EZ Drummer was being an ungracious douchebag and doing it's damnedest to spoil my fun. I'm beta testing a new DAW that clearly has some issues with EQ implementation and EZ Drummer compatibility. Literally, at the last minute, I slapped together a new snare and kick track using just a key controller and the stock EZD kit. It sounds awful, but I needed something there.

I did record the entire song, as in... it goes on for another two minutes after where I faded the submission version out. it has all of the weird little flurry synths and what not. Synths: Juno 60, Jupiter 8, JX3P, Korg M1 and a VSTi String synth.

The spacey intro is an Ovation Acoustic/Electric and the Korg M1 ran through more filters than you can imagine :grin:

When I have a little more time, I'm going to re-attack the mix and I'll provide a link to the full version. I also need to get rid of the annoying esses and plosives on the vocal tracks, that I forgot to do before applying compression and fx :facepalm:

Side note: Phil mentioned "attention to detail" ... You see, I suffer from both OCD and ADD (I know right?) in other words, I'm a perfectionist with a short attention span (read: recipe for disaster) . I mapped the original Prince album version at 126.454 BPM and placed it in a track and then built the song around it before dropping it out. If you're nerdy enough, you could put the Prince version and mine on a single stereo track with one hard right and the other hard left and they would be perfectly synched from beginning to end :grin: I'm such a dork.

Funny, I did the exact same thing when I did my Killing Joke cover.

Back