Whisky

jaxn slim

Your Worst Nightmare
I finally started getting into Scotch whisky recently. I've been digging on some Talisker 10 and Lagavulin 16. What else is good?

How much do you want to spend? What characteristics do you favor? Want to go in a different direction than you've had or stay the course?

Good choices so far. Talisker was my introduction to the peaty type of whisky, and it remains my fave.

I also like Ardbeg a lot, the regular 10 y.o. kind. Laphroaig is a classic, of course, one of the heavy-hitters as far as pure intensity goes. Also recall enjoying Bruichladdich and Bunnahabhain, but I've never bought any bottles myself, so it's mostly based on a few tasting experiences.

How much do you want to spend? What characteristics do you favor? Want to go in a different direction than you've had or stay the course?

Let's say money is no object. I like complexity. The saltiness of Talisker and Lagavulin is a huge trip for me as a drinker primarily of bourbon. I'm kind of indifferent to the peat at this point. It's interesting, but I could see developing more of a yearning for it.

The Macallan is tasty.
I've had Macallan in the past, and it is indeed tasty.

Laphroaig seems like a logical next step. I've seen Ardbeg and Bunnahabhain at my local store, too. Based on @Yngtchie Blacksteen's recommendation, I will try those eventually.

I saw some of the Compass Box blends - Flaming Heart and This is not a luxury Whisky. They're priced pretty high - $120 and $180, respectively. That's so high! But the reviews look stellar, so I'm considering rounding back to the store and getting one or both.

You should probably try rest of the 'must have' list for starting out since you've already scratched two or three off it:
Glenmorangie 18
Aberlour A'Bunadh
Ardbeg 10
Springbank 14
Highland Park 18
Though, there's so much variety in Scotch that working through a bottle at a time takes a long time you really stretch your legs.

You should probably try rest of the 'must have' list for starting out since you've already scratched two or three off it:
Glenmorangie 18
Aberlour A'Bunadh
Ardbeg 10
Springbank 14
Highland Park 18
Though, there's so much variety in Scotch that working through a bottle at a time takes a long time you really stretch your legs.
Thanks. I found all of them except the Springbank 14. I found 12 and 15, though.

+1 on the Glenmorangie 18

How far away from Spec's on Smith Street do you live? Too close will cost you plenty!
About 20 to 30 minutes. But I am only about 10 minutes from the one on Bissonnet and Weslayan, which which is a pretty big one too, getting me into plenty of trouble.

Reactions: Tig
4ic2IiH.jpg

@jaxn slim ^ that whiskey bar in Houston occasionally gets a rare hugely expensive bottle & sells glasses of it basically at cost. I'd imagine they probably have a pretty decent standard selection too.

@jaxn slim ^ that whiskey bar in Houston occasionally gets a rare hugely expensive bottle & sells glasses of it basically at cost. I'd imagine they probably have a pretty decent standard selection too.
Thanks. It is 5 miles from me. I will have to check it out.

Last edited:
Bought the Glenmorangie 10 today. Very light, very dangerous. Probably a gateway drug.
Never had that but reading the description on the Virginia ABC store website it does indeed sound like a gateway drug.

"Imagine yourself in an Italian garden surrounded with mandarin, lemon, apple, pear and peach trees, their fruit ripening in the sun. Add to this the scent of vanilla ice cream, then enjoy the herbal aromas of geranium and wild mint growing nearby.

Savour the fruits of the Italian garden as creamy vanilla slips like liquid silk over the tongue as peaches and cream, mandarins and lemons effervesce in the mouth.

Aromatic essences of fennel and nutmeg tantalise with crumbly alomond and coconut that gives way to a nectar that envelops all the fruit, spice and nut flavours in a honeyed caress."

Back