Which would you choose? Peeker Edition......

Probably the first maker posted that I really have no interest in any of their guitars. The closest would be the San Dimas.

It's nice to see a couple of you guys typing about playing a flying V sitting down.
That's one guitar we both are having the same experience with, even if I'm coming at it left-handed.
I put the headstock on my shoe, so the floor doesn't scuff it, and straddle the V,
using my groin to hold the guitar, while I let audience members rub bottles and cans and lipstick tubes on the strings,
signalling furiously for the roadie to turn it up with effects to make all the noise in the world,
and I'm peeling off some sign vinyl white dots like Randy Rhoades, sticking them onto the foreheads and exposed bosoms of goth chicks,
and I'm removing the removable and fridge magnet activated multi-music-staff Joe Satriani stripes, I made out of sign vinyl,
using them to tape across the mouths of all those digital guitar magazine disc learning guitar nerds in front of me.
Turn to walk away, dropping the Gibson guitar, watching it break, then kicking it off the front of the stage.
That's what a flying V is good for.

Last edited:
It's nice to see a couple of you guys typing about playing a flying V sitting down.
That's one guitar we both are having the same experience with, even if I'm coming at it left-handed.
I put the headstock on my shoe, so the floor doesn't scuff it, and straddle the V,
using my groin to hold the guitar, while I let audience members rub bottles and cans and lipstick tubes on the strings,
signalling furiously for the roadie to turn it up with effects to make all the noise in the world,
and I'm peeling off some sign vinyl white dots like Randy Rhoades, sticking them onto the foreheads and exposed bosoms of goth chicks,
and I'm removing the removable and fridge magnet activated multi-music-staff Joe Satriani stripes, I made out of sign vinyl,
using them to tape across the mouths of all those digital guitar magazine disc learning guitar nerds in front of me.
Turn to walk away, dropping the Gibson guitar, watching it break, then kicking it off the front of the stage.
That's what a flying V is good for.

Jimi would be disappointed in you.

jimi-hendrix-flying-v.jpg

Yeah, poor old Jimi. Look how he has to hold his picking arm up to avoid the right-handed bridge.
That's so bad for his technique. And he has to sit to play it... yeah... woof-woof blah-blah... just a waker-upper,
while that '64 Fender Stratocaster, all original, rests beside him... not lurking... but just waiting,
and it won't have to wait long, 'cause Jimi looks like he really needs to plug in.

Last edited:
Yeah, poor old Jimi. Look how he has to hold his picking arm up to avoid the right-handed bridge.
That's so bad for his technique. And he has to sit to play it... yeah... woof-woof blah-blah... just a waker-upper,
while that '64 Fender Stratocaster, all original, rests beside him... not lurking... but just waiting,
and it won't have to wait long, 'cause Jimi looks like he really needs to plug in.

the bridge is not his problem. the bridge is fine. it's the controls he needs to stay out of the way from. he seemed to do just fine in that regard.

It cracked me up, as a kid who didn't own a guitar, to watch Jimi onstage.
He'd hold the authentic Fender Stratocaster up to his face, flat, using stage lighting,
turning his knobs to the numbers he wanted to see, from that angle.
He was so precise with everything he did, all the time, he made playing guitar look easy.
The only problem was he wasn't taking it seriously, like a great musician.
He always looked like he was really getting into it and having a real good time.

When Jimi played Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto,
no local guitarists or visiting celebrities went to stand in front of the stage,
or walked around the stage, two flat-beds where the hockey net would be and no security,
just police standing in street entrances.
It seemed that everyone wanted to give Jimi as much space as he needed for him to get it on,
and no-one came even remotely to understanding how much space that was,
and what his Axis: Bold of Love was onstage, the center of all that moving, quadraphonic sound.
Jimis' guitar playing and singing is half of his presence, for me.

Imagine... yeah... try to imagine... a glue joint, a thin wall of stiffer material between two wood pieces.
When your string vibration and body resonance gets activated, it starts moving in the wood.
When it hits the glue joint, the stiffer material quickens the vibration, even amassing it a little, before it passes,
slowing down again into the wood body.
And look at what glue joints we could be talking about, for basic solid-body construction.
If you have a center stripe of wood for the neck, and other pieces reverse-grained on both sides,
we're talking about a glue joint that separates two-thirds of the body, in a complete, length-wise position.
So not only are those glue joints as long a feature as the body, they divide it into three sections.
That's a profound use of glue to make a musical instrument body.
Again, please, see glueing your guitar together in terms of defragmenting your computer, and how that aids function.

Or if guitars aren't your game, think about the difference in aluminum and steel brake tubing,
and how that affects overall automotive performance.
They're not moving parts, like glue, and are there just to retain the brake fluid pressure, like guitar resonance.
But what's the difference between aluminum and steel brake tubing?

Back