Which generation do you think you are?

Or do you identify with?

http://www.jenx67.com/what-generation-am-i

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strauss–Howe_generational_theory

Boomer, X'er, Millenial, Homelander?

Me, I am a Gen X'er. I am born on the cusp of Boomers and X'ers, but I do not really identify at all with Boomers socially, musically, etc. This is supported by the Strauss-Howe theories above. Some studies, focused more on birth rates, mark the line more in 64-65, and I was born in late 62. But, I think that overlooks social experience. The internet test I linked above also confirmed it. But, in fairness, I could pretty much work that test to get the answer I wanted. :wink: I can relate to most of the following descriptor:

Generation X, by broadest definition, was born between 1961 and 1981. They were latchkey (yep) kids whose childhoods coincided with the greatest anti-child phase in American history. This is illustrated in both the widespread availability of birth control and legalization of abortion. Gen-Xers were an under-protected generation (could say undersupervised). Many were raised in fatherless homes by single mothers. (not me). Generation X graduated college into a tough job market, the premise of the movie Reality Bites. (yep). From this experience (and many others) emerged distrust in government (yep) and slacker stereotypes(kinda, says the long haired ski instructor lawyer). An often (sometimes for me) apathetic, sometimes rebellious generation, Gen-Xers created child-focused families and became helicopter parents. (yep). They are responsible for creating a number of child protection laws. Gen-Xers favor work-life balance. (yep, says the lawyer ski-instructor, scout leader). Politically, the majority are fiscally conservative. (yep, but moderated in recent years)

So, what generation are you?

Last edited:
According to the quiz, I'm Generation Jones:

"Depending on when they were born, Gen Jonesers often associate with Baby Boomers or Generation X, but they have a distinct, collective persona all their own. They aren't tarred with Dylan or Cobain, Elvis or John Hughes, Woodstock or Lollapalooza. They weren't devastated by JFK's assassination, but remember the Iranian Hostage Crisis with angst. Born roughly between 1954 and 1965, they were not drafted into Vietnam and they did not come of age with MTV. Their musical icons were Donny and Marie, KISS and Springsteen. They watched Family Affair and had Mrs. Beasley dolls. They rode banana seat choppers, played with Kiddles and Topper Dawn dolls. They watched Saturday Night Fever, Josie and the Pussycats and the Patridge Family. Politically, Jonesers. represent a crucial voting segment in Western elections."

I was born in 1964. I've always considered myself more Generation X than Baby Boomer.

Huh, I am very, very close to you in experience. I had my banana seat chopper, and Family Affair and the Partridge Family, but intentionally skipped Saturday Night Fever. Did not get Springsteen the first time around, but more listened to Boston and Van Halen, then first wave of punk, and came of age with MTV, and later Cobain.

Huh, I am very, very close to you in experience. I had my banana seat chopper, and Family Affair and the Partridge Family, but intentionally skipped Saturday Night Fever. Did not get Springsteen the first time around, but more listened to Boston and Van Halen, then first wave of punk, and came of age with MTV, and later Cobain.
Yeah. That sounds right.

According to the quiz, I'm Generation Jones:

"Depending on when they were born, Gen Jonesers often associate with Baby Boomers or Generation X, but they have a distinct, collective persona all their own. They aren't tarred with Dylan or Cobain, Elvis or John Hughes, Woodstock or Lollapalooza. They weren't devastated by JFK's assassination, but remember the Iranian Hostage Crisis with angst. Born roughly between 1954 and 1965, they were not drafted into Vietnam and they did not come of age with MTV. Their musical icons were Donny and Marie, KISS and Springsteen. They watched Family Affair and had Mrs. Beasley dolls. They rode banana seat choppers, played with Kiddles and Topper Dawn dolls. They watched Saturday Night Fever, Josie and the Pussycats and the Patridge Family. Politically, Jonesers. represent a crucial voting segment in Western elections."

I was born in 1964. I've always considered myself more Generation X than Baby Boomer.

This.

MI0003591316.jpg

I'm Generation X, though most X'ers are older.

Also, I didn't answer the quiz because the first question was about Christmas, and we're not Christian, so I don't relate. :lol:
That's a festivus tree for gawd's sake!

X, but with the amount of stupid yet smug Xers I've been exposed to this election I think I'll declare independent.

I am dosed with a little bit of boomer in me, as I can also be an activist, and feel a responsibility to try to make a difference. Though, in fairness to us X-ers, the Occupy movement was a Gen X thing I read today. And that is kinda activism of a sort.

@PunkKitty I tested again and changed two answers (which Christmas tree, to at more brightly colored one, though the other one I picked also was accurate) and a flipper lunch box instead of ET. Which would have probably been more correct for me. Though truly I had Scooby Doo. Then I got Jones. I could be either I suppose. I had never heard of Gen Jones until today.

Back